Information regarding the PRT-4 and PRR-9 radios

Lancer-86

Hey guys,

Was looking to pick up a set for my display, but am trying to learn a little about them. How long were they manufactured? Were they used long after Vietnam? Is there any way to tell an early example from a late example? I have seen differences in battery compartments (some with holes, some without), is one of these a sign of an early or late manufacture? Any info is appreciated.

This probably does not help much but I have an example of the AN/PRT-4 that was totally rebuilt and tested at the Sacramento Army Depot in June 1990. No receiver just the transmitter. It was depot converted to use two 9 volt batteries. Rather then shrink all the photos and post them here here is the auction it's on now....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283757992733

Thats the problem. Im finding a lot of info saying that the PRT-4 and PRR-9 were tested before being issued and thought to be a great radio. But then when it got to the field it didnt do so hot. Short lifespan, but for some reason we kept refurbishing them and I have found batteries made as late as the 80s. So Im trying to figure out how long we actually made the radios.

• 2 months later...