My Grandfather's 11th Airborne Wallet

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have several more photos, service newspapers, unit newsletters, etc . Hopefully what I posted wasnt too much.

I will post a couple more for those of you who like research.

The first one is his buddies. This is one of two he kept.

post-280447-0-61565100-1580276613_thumb.jpeg

New Collector buying quality WW1 US Helmets, uniforms and named groupings with helmet and or uniforms.

Here are two Normandy Landing maps(?).... Im not sure why or how he got these.

post-280447-0-98126300-1580276779_thumb.jpeg

New Collector buying quality WW1 US Helmets, uniforms and named groupings with helmet and or uniforms.

Great stuff , that 503rd patch is killer!!...you must be thrilled!.....mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Next interesting documents that look like they were from his time at sea and heading to duty. But I could be wrong. Everything didnt appear to be in order.

Does anyone know what this is?

attachicon.gif792023E3-C258-487C-9137-398DF66E741F.jpeg

It is an An Order of Shellbacks certificate for "Crossing the Line". Awarded to a person crossing the equator for the first time on a ship. There is a very elaborate ceremony that goes with it. You can look up the details online.

There are similar ceremonies for cross the arctic circle (Blue Nose), crossing the international date line (Order of the Dragon), transiting the Panama Canal (Order of the Ditch), and many more.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Stellar stuff. Congrats!

Love the patch and the "official orders".

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

Those are really great items, from the pictures, patches, and paperwork, even down to the Japanese toothbrush. So happy that you were able to retrieve and save those items to go along with your grandpa's military history and legacy. In that one pic of his friends I notice that Covucci is George E. Covucci who shows on that list of people who were on LST 1034 with Judd. Anyway, maybe you'll be able to find more items later but that's a great group you already have.

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

I love the Japanese toothbrush!

Great family heirloom.

Great 503 patch.

Great qualification certificate.

I wonder if he was engineer or artillery?

Didn’t the 503 jump on Corregidor?

This is a wonderful group from all aspects.

donation2013.gif

The return to U.S. document is certainly quite funny. It's unfortunate that some items have been lost to time, but there's still quite a lot left which is very nice and invaluable to family records. Great work wanting to save and remember his service!

Interested in items related to:

-Amarillo A.A.F. / Amarillo Air Force Base

-Military instillations located in the Texas Panhandle, South Plains, and West Texas.

-"F" Company, 142nd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division (Texas National Guard)

-413th Civil Affairs Battalion (USAR)

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

In Memoriam:

CSM Juan H. Hernandez - U.S. Army WWII, Korea, Vietnam

RM1c William C. Denney - U.S.S. McDermut (DD-677) Korea

Source: Wikipedia

Following a non-combat landing on the island of Leyte in the Philippines, the 503rd Regimental Combat Team (RCT) made a major amphibious landing on Mindoro Island in the central Philippines on 15 December 1944. Originally, it was intended for the 503rd to jump on Mindoro, but due to inadequate airstrip facilities on Leyte, an airborne landing was not possible. During the Battle of Mindoro, the 503rd was subjected to intense air and naval actions, at one point being shelled for 25 minutes by a Japanese naval task force. One company of the 503rd RCT engaged in a fierce battle against a company-size Japanese force defending an enemy air raid warning station on the north end of the island. The success of the Mindoro operation enabled the United States Army Air Forces to construct and operate air strips and forward air bases to support later landings in the Philippines at Lingayen Gulf, Luzon.

On 16 February 1945, the 503rd RCT jumped on Fortress Corregidor ("the Rock") to liberate that island from occupying Japanese forces. Braving intense fire, the paratroopers rushed forward and overcame the heavy blockhouse defenses, dropping explosives into embrasures to kill hidden Japanese gunners. For its successful capture of Corregidor, the unit was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation and received its nickname, "the Rock Regiment" from it. The regimental insignia was designed by Private First Class Thomas M. McNeill while recuperating from his injuries and dengue fever, hepatitis, and malaria on Mindoro Island, following the battle of Corregidor.

After returning to Mindoro, the 503rd was alerted for another combat jump, this time in the central Philippines to reinforce the 40th Infantry Division in its fight on Negros island. However the jump was canceled and the combat team landed amphibiously on 7 April 1945. It would spend the remainder of the war conducting mopping up operations on the island, often against fanatical enemy resistance. After Japan's surrender in August 1945, over 6,150 Japanese soldiers surrendered to the 503rd, although some continued to hold out until October.

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

Those are really great items, from the pictures, patches, and paperwork, even down to the Japanese toothbrush. So happy that you were able to retrieve and save those items to go along with your grandpa's military history and legacy. In that one pic of his friends I notice that Covucci is George E. Covucci who shows on that list of people who were on LST 1034 with Judd. Anyway, maybe you'll be able to find more items later but that's a great group you already have.

Thanks AZ. Ive been on the road the past couple of days, so I am just getting back to the forum. But I also had time to reflect a bit about what I found. I realized that these scrapbooks were made by a man in his early 30s, had a career, and was newly married. As I was driving, I mentally kept thinking about these things he chose to save and hightlight in his scrap book. I kept fixating on the toothbrush, trying to think why that would be important. Then it dawned on me. If I step back and look at the group as a whole, it became clear to me. He had humanized his experience in the war. His scrapbook was filled with things that made him laugh, things he had enjoyed or was proud of. His pictures showed families, friends, and life going about its day. There was not one picture of him or anyone in combat gear. There was not any pictures of destruction or death. My aunt told me He had been classified as someone who was needed more at his company he worked for than to carry a rifle. He volunteered because he was ashamed of having to try to explain why he wasnt in service or go through the humiliation of being called names. So he enlisted on his own, proceeded to be trained to do a job. And to do that job well, you must dehumanize. Im a bit ashamed for some initial disappointment at not finding anything that would fall into the categories we covet as collectors (except patches). Truth is now that Ive digested this all, Im proud that he somehow did the job he was asked to do. Nothing more, nothing less. And through it, He never lost his character. He showed how life still mattered.

post-280447-0-01581300-1580563437_thumb.jpeg

post-280447-0-00531900-1580563472_thumb.jpeg

Chris, I think you are exactly right about why he kept the items he did. He chose to keep the souvenirs that brought him laughter, curiosity and joy. He probably wanted nothing that reminded him of the bad memories of death and destruction. It's a great scrapbook and I'm glad you were able to find it.

I think your exactly right, all my dad brought home was a handful of pictures and patches and dog tags. I asked my dad when I was a kid how come you didn't bring home any souvenirs, his reply. I just wanted get the hell home. He was always proud that he received his CIB. To him I guess it meant he didn't chicken out. And Chris did you get the link I sent?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif