Chris Miller

My Grandfather's 11th Airborne Wallet

My Aunt gave me this for Christmas. Until then, I didn't think anything was left from his service time.

post-280447-0-30097700-1580178919.jpg

New Collector buying quality WW1 US Helmets, uniforms and named groupings with helmet and or uniforms.

Then I opened the money section and found this:

post-280447-0-75794300-1580179137.jpg

New Collector buying quality WW1 US Helmets, uniforms and named groupings with helmet and or uniforms.

Finally, I unsnapped the little flap...... Looks like PVT. Grandpa had been up to some mischief!

post-280447-0-12991900-1580179333.jpg

Source: NARA

n1.jpg

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

Source: Find-A-Grave

n2.jpg

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

Source: FamilySearch.org

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

n6.jpg

n7.jpg

n8.jpg

Source: Newspapers.com

n9.jpg

n10.jpg

Source: Fold3

WWII Draft Registration

n11.jpg

n12.jpg

n13.jpg

n14.jpg

n15.jpg

n16.jpg

Source: Newspapers.com

Publication: Council Bluffs Nonpareil

Issue Date: Tuesday, June 6, 1944

Page: Page 12

Mrs. J. W. Forbes has received word that her son, Judd W. Forbes, who was recently called into service, is stationed at Ft. Bragg, N. C., in the paratrooper division.

Nice, thats great to have something from your family's service like that.

donation2019.gif

AZNation,

I am really touched that you would find all this stuff for me. Thank you so much, this is very kind of you.

I’m also very impressed. That’s an amazing amount of info found in short order! Ironically, aunt called me earlier asking me if I wanted to come over and see if we can find other information buried in boxes. My aunt is an eccentric lady. Envision 60’s hippie meets cat lady. Never married, crazy smart, but can’t remember if she put her shoes on. So verbal family history from her is quite suspect. To top it off, her house should be on a future episode of American Pickers or Hoarders. Hopefully I find something more. Stay tuned and thanks again!

You're very welcome Chris, my pleasure. I didn't know how much other information you had but I thought I'd provide what I could. Your aunt sounds like quite the lady. I think most everyone has someone like that in their family. I know I did. That's great that she offered to have you come over to see if you could find some more information about your grandfather. If you can I urge you to take advantage of your aunt's offer as that opportunity may not arise again. Once it's gone, it's gone. Best of luck to you in that endeavor and we will stay tuned. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully good. Take care...Matt

What a great Christmas gift! I hope you find more of his items at her house. From what you described, who knows what you'll find.

Im back from my aunts and the kids are all in bed so I am able to post a update now.

Before I start posting some pictures, I give you a quick overview: all that we could find is a couple of scrap books. There were some pages where sadly an item was labeled but missing. Such as cut parachute section, a piece of nylon strap, some photos, etc. My Aunt remembers playing with a little parachute when she was 5 or 6. She is probably the reason its not there. So sadly, outside of one Japanese bring back item there is nothing else. No samarai sword, Ike jacket, helmet etc as I had fantasized about finding even if I knew it was a long shot. What Im most disappointed in is that his jump wings are gone. Oh well... on to the pictures of stuff...

First up: My GF J. W. Forbes - I was happy to find this and another one where he has brass collar insignia

post-280447-0-68945200-1580273303_thumb.jpeg

Next interesting documents that look like they were from his time at sea and heading to duty. But I could be wrong. Everything didnt appear to be in order.

Does anyone know what this is?

post-280447-0-32517300-1580274310_thumb.jpeg

post-280447-0-32905800-1580274453_thumb.jpeg

Im going to refer the next series of pics as the Boobies and Beer section. There were quite a few of these..... its a family thing. Haha!

These were from Negros and Japan

post-280447-0-60069000-1580274886_thumb.jpeg

post-280447-0-10628400-1580274981_thumb.jpeg

post-280447-0-04625000-1580275095_thumb.jpeg

The next couple are the Japanese bring back items.

Behold the only non paper bring back item:

post-280447-0-72150600-1580275424_thumb.jpeg

A toothbrush. (Cue the Opening Socks for Christmas look on face.)

After the toothbrush this drawing is actually much more interesting:

post-280447-0-32565600-1580275622_thumb.jpeg