US Marines in China October 1945 ** Interesting Photo **

Eric Queen

These just came in today. Thought these were kind of interesting. USMC patrol in October 45 (I believe this was the time the Marines were assisting with rounding up the Japanese).

What I thought was interesting is what looks to be a Chinese national wearing USMC HBT's and carrying a Thompson.

China0004.jpg

Thanks Dirk. Tangshan makes sense. Would locals really be equipped with our gear or do you think this guy is dressed up for the photo?

Eric I don't know...although I can see local Nationalists being equipped with US items I can't see them wearing USMC labled items (a part from kid mascots)....maybe an interpreter? A marine of Chinese heritage or someone working for the Marines and they gave him the weapon for the picture?

Of course no way to know for sure but an interpreter makes the most sense IMO. If on patrol duty you would assume that he would have to be issued a weapon. I personally have never seen a photo of a WW2 marine of Asian decent but doesnt mean couldnt have been possible

Sometimes Chinese words were romanized in different ways before being standardized by the Communist government as well as having some characters simplified.

I wonder if that could be Lan Hsien ( as it was written by Marines in the 1940s)? Sort of similar, but could also have been Lan Shen.

Anyway here's another shot of a Chinese man in Marine clothing. The officer is my father, of the 2/7, shot taken in 'Lan Hsien', same time period. Could be an American Chinese Marine, or as was mentioned, an interpreter?

See the link below for more on that place and time.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14159-usmc-china-photos-and-paperwork/

post-1414-0-79670000-1580689152.jpg

Great photos. Many if not most regions of China were lawless & dangerous in 1945-46. Being in uniform, the individual is most likely a US translator IMHO.

Thanks for the post. Love to see unpublished, original WW2 field photos.

Wharf