Opinions on M1 w/Frogskin Cover (pix heavy)

gap

Also FYI the liner has the hole in the front which is a good indication of WW2 manufacturing, also you have the khaki webbing and the early non adjustable nape strap. Often the leather head band can be seen attached like this for a smaller fit.

- Dean

The helmet and liner both appear to be Korean War or later. The CAPAC liner probably has a micarta tag with a date. It is undoubtedly NOT WWII. The cover appears to be an original.

Great pick up.

Allan

nice original-------- looks to be untouched. DO NOT REMOVER THE COVER OFF THE POT. by looks of the wear pattern around the rim, was on from day 1. yes, korea into nam. if you can track the name you will find the origin of the helmet. I like it.

No way I'm removing the cover, I was nervous just peeling it back to check out the heat stamp and get a pix of the beach side!!!

Allan, I don't see a micarta tag in the liner, but I thought OD3 webbing = WW2?

Lots of Korean War potential but could also be after and into Vietnam.

From what I’ve been told Capac bought out Westinghouse’s liner business after WWII and restamped the liners.

The liner could also have a two digit date in it like 52.

The green metal clips on the chin straps are Korean era.

A very cool helmet.

You know more about helmets than you think.

The helmet and liner both appear to be Korean War or later. The CAPAC liner probably has a micarta tag with a date. It is undoubtedly NOT WWII. The cover appears to be an original.

Great pick up.

Allan

Liner is a WW2 restamped westinghouse liner with Khaki webbing. The later 50s liners had a much darker webbing.

The Capac stamp has been re stamped during the 50s post WW2, its a reissue

Also Korean War liners had OD webbing, and the Vietnam liners had no hole and no shoe string adjustment

No way I'm removing the cover, I was nervous just peeling it back to check out the heat stamp and get a pix of the beach side!!!

Allan, I don't see a micarta tag in the liner, but I thought OD3 webbing = WW2?

It is

Great pick up.

Allan

Here is a great topic on liners for you Allan

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/731-helmet-liner-maker-markings/

Will help you identify them in the future

- Dean

Technically the liner was made during WWII by Westinghouse but reissued after the war by Capac.

For the purposes of this thread, as we put a date to the ensemble, the liner is post war issue.

Dean,

I know how to identify a WWII Westinghouse liner and also know that when you see a Westinghouse maker's mark that is overstamped with the CAPAC maker mark AND the 1951 date, that it would be improper to call it a WWII liner. Many of these liners will have a white tag that says micarta and has a date. The finishing process on the liner often times makes these tags hard to see.

IF someone put this liner in a WWII pot and called it a WWII helmet and liner, the collectors here would howl about how "wrong" the helmet was.

I stand by my ID. 1951 date is KOREAN WAR era.

Allan

Dean,

I know how to identify a WWII Westinghouse liner and also know that when you see a Westinghouse maker's mark that is overstamped with the CAPAC maker mark AND the 1951 date, that it would be improper to call it a WWII liner. Many of these liners will have a white tag that says micarta and has a date. The finishing process on the liner often times makes these tags hard to see.

IF someone put this liner in a WWII pot and called it a WWII helmet and liner, the collectors here would howl about how "wrong" the helmet was.

Allan

Allan

Liner was made in the WW2 period at the Westinghouse factory, it was then reissued.

The date stands, its a WW2 made liner with a 50s reissue stamp, It NOT a 50s made liner. Surely by the khaki webbing and non adjustable nape you can tell by that,

Clues are all there mate

You cant take a product made in the 40s, reissue it with a new stamp (capac bought Westinghouse dead stock) and say it was made in the 50s

Technically the liner was made during WWII by Westinghouse but reissued after the war by Capac.

For the purposes of this thread, as we put a date to the ensemble, the liner is post war issue.

Yes but not post war made - making it a WW2 made liner

Well, I'm pretty sure it's a Korean war set based on research of the USMC officer registries available online. William George Williams was born 1914 and his first pay entry base date was January 22, 1936, which denotes his entry into service. However, he does not show up in the USMC officer registry until Jan. 1952. The 1952 registry indicates he was commissioned a 2nd Lt. on May 1, 1951. The Jan. 1953 registry indicates he was promoted to 1st Lt. on November 11, 1952. The Jan. 1955 registry indicates he was promoted to Captain on March 18, 1954. He appears in the 1955 - 1961 registries (Capt), but does not appear in the Jan. 1962 registry.

Based on the records I reviewed, I believe that he served as an NCO during WW2 and was called up to active duty (as an officer) during the Korean War, where he served until discharge sometime in 1961, before the start of American troop involvement in Vietnam.

Anyone have access to USMC muster rolls during WW2 or Korean War?

Allan

Liner was made in the WW2 period at the Westinghouse factory, it was then reissued.

The date stands, its a WW2 made liner with a 50s reissue stamp, It NOT a 50s made liner. Surely by the khaki webbing and non adjustable nape you can tell by that,

Clues are all there mate

You cant take a product made in the 40s, reissue it with a new stamp (capac bought Westinghouse dead stock) and say it was made in the 50s

Except the webbing is clearly the 50s OD7, not the WWII OD3. Oftentimes with use the 50s liners will fade to a more khaki appearance but the difference is obvious if you compare the color of the webbing to the color of the sweatband and nape strap, which are both WWII.

Dean,

Allan

YOU ARE RIGHT AL. THE NAME SHOULD BE TRACKED DOWN AND THAT WILL TELL THE STORY OF THE VET.

Except the webbing is clearly the 50s OD7, not the WWII OD3. Oftentimes with use the 50s liners will fade to a more khaki appearance but the difference is obvious if you compare the color of the webbing to the color of the sweatband and nape strap, which are both WWII.

With the different lighting in all shots its so difficult to read on an I phone screen.

If Im wrong apologies Allan

Well done either way - great lid