Opinions on M1 w/Frogskin Cover (pix heavy)

gap

Picked this salty M1 helmet up over the weekend. based on stitching I'm pretty sure the cover is genuine USMC WW2, but would like opinions as I'm relatively new to helmets. The cover is not marked on either side with manufacturer info.

The helmet shell is a swivel bail, rear seam, post-war McCord, with heat stamp M 87A. The chin straps are OD7 with painted green hardware. The keeper tab is in an unusual location.

The liner I'm not so sure about. The paint appears to be USMC forest green. There is a corporal chevron on the front and captain bars on the back! Also an outline of what looks like an attempt to stencil a camo pattern. It seems like a WW2 liner based on color of webbing (OD3), but the manufacturer double stamp (Capac and Westinghouse) makes me think post-war. The nape band and headband also seem like WW2 (interesting how the headband is tied). The headband clips are painted OD metal, as is the fastener. The liner clips are blackened brass.

The set looks like it has been together for a long time based on wear and rust stains.

Best part is that the helmet is named to Capt. W.G. Williams. His name is written three places on the cover and two places on the head band. Hoping there is a resource for tracking him down.

Thanks for any insight experts can provide.

post-51748-0-03177200-1580145651_thumb.jpg

Original 3rd Pat cover with an M1 helmet that has the T1 chinstraps. Liner is WW2 period and the green colour repaint is that used by the USMC IMHO.

Name written on the cover often seen in Korea and Vietnam like this, so I would say this is a Vietnam war period set.

Nice find

- Dean