3D Printed Helmet Stand

Here are a couple photos of a helmet stand I printed. This was the first run to determine the stability of the design. I went very heavy (90% fill) on the base. Stem and topper were 20%. I ran the topper in a cheaper white PLA since its not visible. Originally I planed to design some sort of card holder on the base so I could add info as desired. Overall Im reasonably satisfied with the look, however I dont think Im going to make very many more. To start with, this was a long 5 day print. I went total overkill on this for stability and could lighten it up a lot, but it would still probably be a 3 day print. Also, For previous reason of overkill, this stand cost about $25. But the most important reason why I wont do many more is that I used my 12 yo daughters new Christmas printer and she was not happy with dad tying it up for that long. Apparently custom phone cases and baby yodas are in high demand in 6th grade right now.

In any case, for what its worth....

post-280447-0-88396300-1580108400_thumb.jpeg

New Collector buying quality WW1 US Helmets, uniforms and named groupings with helmet and or uniforms.

Looks Great Chris! Time to Get your ovn printer! ;)

Interested in US Naval and Marine aviation history, aircrew wings & insignia.

WW2 US Navy and Marine Grumman Wildcat, Avenger & Douglas SBD aircraft.

Also interested in US 5th AF in Australia.

donation2013.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

I have sold 5000+ of my wooden display stands in the last 10 years. I thought about an upgrade and checked into plastic injection molding as well as 3-D printing. In the end I learned as you did: costs + time = bad idea, when it comes to any kind of reasonable production prices that would translate into a reasonable resale price.

In the end, you do have a VERY COOL prototype. Maybe in a few years prices and speed will be more reasonable.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I have sold 5000+ of my wooden display stands in the last 10 years. I thought about an upgrade and checked into plastic injection molding as well as 3-D printing. In the end I learned as you did: costs + time = bad idea, when it comes to any kind of reasonable production prices that would translate into a reasonable resale price.

In the end, you do have a VERY COOL prototype. Maybe in a few years prices and speed will be more reasonable.

Thanks Bugme! Do you have a website where you sell your stands or do you just sell at shows?

New Collector buying quality WW1 US Helmets, uniforms and named groupings with helmet and or uniforms.