Mukluks - The often overlooked cold weather footwear

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

I have quite alot of USN cold weather gear & foul weather gear, mostly my own as I am a 'bluenose' but along the way I've picked up some other stuff. While doodling around and reading some old topics I came across the photo below from a 1943 cold weather testing expedition to Mount McKinley.

From the QM History Museum site:

In the summer of 1943, as the United States and its allies had become fully engaged in a worldwide struggle to defeat Nazi Germany and its allies, a small team of Quartermaster-led scientists, researchers and renowned mountain climbers were contributing to the war effort in a far-off corner of the world, atop Alaska’s highest peak -- Mount McKinley.

The Office of the Quartermaster General put together the 17-member team to test new cold weather rations, clothing, and equipment. It had only been 29 years since the very first group of explorers had attempted such a perilous journey.

The wartime expedition lasted nearly ten weeks. And there were thrills and spills aplenty on the treacherous slopes. At one point their Commander, LTC Frank Marchman, QMC, slipped into a fast-moving river at the foot of a glacier and was swept downstream -- but survived. The harsh winds and thirty-below zero temperatures gave ample opportunity to test QM-designed tents, coats, sweaters, shoepacs, mukluks and other equipment.

On 23 July 1943, CPT Robert Bates, QMC, and three of his teammates struggled the last 150 feet to reach the summit of the 20,300-foot mountain . . . and in so doing added another bit of history to the Quartermaster legacy.

Reference: This week in Quartermaster History

Well heck, I've got a pair of those 1943 Mukluks too.....may as well shoot some photos for reference by the Mountain troop collectors.

07a.jpg

08.jpg

Salvage Sailor

While researching the web for information on these Mukluks, I came across these two (2) photos by Life magazine photographer George Skadding from a 1947 testing expedition in Alaska.

post-2322-1231394945.jpg

Troops in the Army Task Force Frigid unit testing effects of arctic weather, standing under sign that contradicts common GI assumption that trying is always "the right way or the Army way."

Date taken: February 1947

Photographer: George Skadding

post-2322-1231394987.jpg

Member of the Army Task Force Frigid unit, who are testing effects of arctic weather on men and equipment, preparing to don his snowshoes while drying clothes on stove.

Salvage Sailor

So, the Mukluks were also worn with snowshoes as the photo illustrates above.

Here are some detailed photos of the Mukluks showing the canvas outer soles and metal tipped laces

16a.jpg

17.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Underside of the soles, one marked 'M' for Medium by some long forgotten QM clerk

18.jpg

And a detail of the reinforced heels

22.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The thick double-felt innersoles, layered by two's in each side

20.jpg

21.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Interior Markings

RASSMUSSEN SHOE CO.

CONTRACT NO. W19-074 QM-773

DEC, 8, 1943

MEDIUM SIZE

23.jpg

They are both stamped on the interior - outboard side (facing out)

Right side marking

24.jpg

Left side marking

25.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Overhead shot showing laces

26.jpg

Close up of laces

Well there ya go, the US Army issue Mukluks of WWII

27.jpg

Thanks for the post. I picked up a very mint set a couple of years ago in an antique store. I've been looking for a good picture of them in actual use. You fulfilled my qwest. Robert

Salvage Sailor

Thanks Robert, are your Mukluks from the same 1943 contract or do they have another number?

Here are some more photos from Operation Frigid: .30 cal machine gun crew on the move & an anti-aircraft artillery unit wearing mukluks.

post-2322-1231448868.jpg

Parachute troops of the Army Task Force Frigid unit, who are tesing effects of arctic weather on men and equipment, carrying heavy equipment through the snow.

post-2322-1231448875.jpg

Troops in the Army Task Force Frigid unit testing effects of arctic weather on an LM6 gun by test firing it.

post-2322-1231448889.jpg

Troops in the Army Task Force Frigid unit tesing effects of arctic weather on 120-mm AA guns.

post-2322-1231449385.jpg

Does anyone know if the armed forces still use mukluks? I have used them for years and I have to say they are the best winter footwear for dry cold snow conditions. In wet snow conditions they soak through but in good cold dry snow they are the best thing going!! I know that there were other mukluk styles issued and if anyone has info on these that would be great!! A really nice pair you have there Salvage Sailor!!

As of 1990 the green Mukluks was still being issued. I was issued a pair while in Alaska upgraded the liner to a snowmobile liner and worn them at -40. My feet never got cold.

Just wanted to interject a little bit of information about the wearing of the WWII issued Boots, Mukluk. To do this I will quote from the QM 3-1 Quartermaster supply catalog. "These boots are worn with two pairs of insoles, felt; one pair of socks, wool, cushion sole; two pairs of socks, wool ski, and one pair of socks, felt. It's principle value is that it is roomy, allowing the use of many pairs of socks without constricting the foot."

I own a mint pair of these Boots, Mukluk and without all of the extra socks, they have almost no insulation from the cold and are basically worthless by themselves in Artic temperatures. BTW. The felt insoles issued with the Mukluks do insulate the soles of the feet from the snow surface cold, which helps a little. The rest of the insulation/protection value comes from the many pairs or super warm socks that are worn using the layering principle, with the Mukluk only being a shell to contain the whole assembly. Lastly, the Mukluks are also not waterproof and can not be used in weather warmer than 20 F or in wet snow. This was done intentionally to allow the perspiration of the feet to evaporate, rather than stay in the boot and freeze.

BTW. One of the pictures posted by Savage Sailor shows the Mukluks mounted up on a board, with all of the required insoles and socks also mounted on the board to the immediate left of them.

I hope this helps to understand their implementation better.

Bob

• 11 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Eleven year bump for the newer members and collectors

Caption: A sled doggie named Mukluk is being trained to carry machine guns in case of a Japanese invasion of Alaska, World War II

Mukluk.jpg

Glad you bumped this. I never would have seen it otherwise. Yet another blast from the past on this forum. I don't own any mukluks and probably never will, but love to learn about new-to-me stuff.

Mikie

• 2 years later...
phantomfixer

Another follow up.. this set has a lacing loop halfway up the front to secure the drawstring, versus around the ankle

31DE3D5B-470D-4520-B706-8AC39B103555.jpeg

On 1/7/2009 at 10:09 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

While researching the web for information on these Mukluks, I came across these two (2) photos by Life magazine photographer George Skadding from a 1947 testing expedition in Alaska.

Troops in the Army Task Force Frigid unit testing effects of arctic weather, standing under sign that contradicts common GI assumption that trying is always "the right way or the Army way."

Size: 1280 x 1269 pixels (17.8 x 17.6 inches)

Member of the Army Task Force Frigid unit, who are tesing effects of arctic weather on men and equipment, preparing to don his snowshoes while drying clothes on stove.

Size: 956 x 1280 pixels (13.3 x 17.8 inches)

01.jpg

I have to comment on that sign "... that contradicts common GI assumption that trying is always "the right way or the Army way."". It also contradicts the philosophy of a wise old boss I once worked for in an electronics design team.  His motto was "If it hasn't been tested, it doesn't work". This proved to be sage advice on many occasions. 

Mikie

I had a pair of modern Norwegian army ones for recreational use when I was in Norway...loved them

Up in Alaska in 81-82, Air Force Mukluks were issued out to vehicle drivers in the winters (Not Snowmobile Drivers), which made these guys stand out.

Let me see if I can spot an image of these vintage USAF types, if any one else has a image please do post it.

29 minutes ago, patches said:

Up in Alaska in 81-82, Air Force Mukluks were issued out to vehicle drivers in the winters (Not Snowmobile Drivers), which made these guys stand out.

Let me see if I can spot an image of these vintage USAF types, if any one else has a image please do post it.

I think these are them, would they still be issued today in the USAF?

s-l1600.jpg

numbersix
5 hours ago, patches said:

I think these are them, would they still be issued today in the USAF?

s-l1600.jpg

Boots, Extreme Cold Weather, N-1B, Specification MIL-B-6362F. NSN 8430-00-269-0099.