ww2 82nd airborne grouping help needed

Jeff V.

Last night I visited some friends of my wife and was shown the grandfathers large paratrooper grouping. The family would like to sell it and I was wondering if someone could help me out with a value. There is many pictures of the soldier and paperwork that I did not take any pictures of. Also he was captured and spent time as a POW in germany so he had an officially engraved purple heart with the docs and bronze star engraved. Unfortunately, some years back they gave his jump jacket to the Goodwill!IMG_0273.jpgIMG_0273.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0271.jpgIMG_0265.jpgIMG_0270.jpg

Ha..........it's been about 24 hours since your original post so I have to ask: Has your message in box exploded yet from the Forum sniffers?

I realize this question could be considered in bad taste but I couldn't help it, sorry. Gregg

mccauslandpara1944

I always find it sad when the family of the veteran wants to sell those historical items, but that is their choice. I would estimate the items pictured above to sell between $700-$1200.

I want to say thanks to everyone who made offers on this group! I was able to speak to the family today and told them of the offers, they declined. At this time it seems they would like more money, which is their right. I guess down the road they will let me know hat they want to do. Anyway, I appreciate the interest and pm's you guys sent me.

Glider wings? What am I missing here?

Does the family have the man's dog tags and his POW camp tag? That will send the value of the group higher. The "papers" and stuff that you didn't post photos of is most likely where the true value of this group lies.

Allan

Agreed the right "papers" can be worth more than what has been shown. I do not even buy uniforms or anything shown in this post but the right papers I would probably pay more than the only number given in this post.

Brian Dentino

If the medals were included with this it would push the value well beyond the price posted as well. And you are not missing a thing Allan, he has jump wings pinned with what appears to be one star.....no glider stuff that I saw.

According to what I read the 551st PIB trained jumping out of gliders. It did not work out well so that could be where he got the glider patch. There was an SS sports shirt patch. There was so much paperwork it was overwhelming.

I forgot to add that he was listed in the roster of the 551st PIB. Later went into the 82nd and 17th. I have had so many pm's that the pm info was not posted on the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff-

I'm the Historian for the 551st Parachute Infantry Association & yes we do have a listing for an Everett F. Chalfant - looks like he jumped into Southern France in August 1944 assigned to the Service Company of the 551st - continuing to dig through our records to see what we can find; he is also listed as being assigned to the 509th Parachute Infantry when awarded the Purple Heart, orders dated 14 FEB 1945 - what is also interesting is that there is a 515th Pocket patch in the collection too -

Let me know how else I can help

AIRBORNE!

Chris