Vietnam Gallantry Cross

Geezer

I'm helping a Marine who served in the 11th Marine Regiment in 1968. I researched that unit and found the 11th Marine Regiment was awarded the Vietnam Gallantry Cross for that time period. Please correct me is this is wrong, but I believe, since it was awarded at the Regiment level, it would include a small bronze star. Since his unit earned this award while he served, would he be entitled to the Gallantry medal or just the ribbon? I know this is a foreign award, so please remove the post if it doesn't belong. Thanks

olivedrab1970

He is entitled to wear the metal and the ribbon if he is shown to have it under awards earned on his DD-214, the U.S. does not provide the metal and explains it as that veterans may seek it out from military collectors and pawn shops. I actually have this statement somewhere from the U.S. Army while receiving metals for my father.

The medal (metal?) With appropriate device (star, palm) is worn if the Marine/Soldier/Sailor/Airman was awarded it as an individual award. The unit award (ribbon bar in gold frame) is always worn with the palm device as far as I know. I believe the device shows the level from which the award is given, not the level of the receiving unit.

olivedrab1970

The medal (metal?) With appropriate device (star, palm) is worn if the Marine/Soldier/Sailor/Airman was awarded it as an individual award. The unit award (ribbon bar in gold frame) is always worn with the palm device as far as I know. I believe the device shows the level from which the award is given, not the level of the receiving unit.

It was late.. (metal) cut me some slack atb..Ha Ha

Thanks for the reply(s). I'll look at his DD-214 and see what it says. Was going to surprise him with the display but he needs to work with me to see what his records say. He's my brother-in-law--I was Army, he was a Marine, so he has always treated me with some good hearted distain. :)

Depending on when a veteran served in Vietnam and his/her discharge date, this unit award does not appear in their DD214. In fact, the vast majority of Vietnam veterans do not see this award on their DD214 due to the blanket award being made in 1973 as the country collapsed. As I've heard any number of times, "In 1973 that's the last damned thing I was concerned about." Agree.

Depending on when a veteran served in Vietnam and his/her discharge date, this unit award does not appear in their DD214. In fact, the vast majority of Vietnam veterans do not see this award on their DD214 due to the blanket award being made in 1973 as the country collapsed. As I've heard any number of times, "In 1973 that's the last damned thing I was concerned about." Agree.

Yes, I read somewhere that the vet had to ask the NARA whether they were elgible for this award. He served in 1968 so it wouldn't show on his separation paper. Whenever I ask NARA for a replacement set of awards for the vets, I always ask them to determine if they are elgible for any foreign awards. They don't replace foreign awards but they can determine what they earned.

I have been helping WWII vets with displays and so many had no idea they could get the actual medals. The military needed the brass for shells, so they were given only the ribbons, except for the decoration (Purple Heart and above), The WWII Victory Medal and the Occupation Medals were also authorized after the war, the vets didn't know or care about them.