WW2 M1 helmet complete with shrimp net - How much is authentic

Luxview

Leave the leather alone, as long as it's inside out of direct natural light the leather shouldn't be an issue. Applying any sort of conditioning to the leather will require reapplication over time and repeat

I like it. It may be a put together set but I believe all parts look original. I wouldn't be surprised if (at the very least) the liner was paired with the helmet at a later date.

That being said, that Westinghouse liner looks to be in fantastic condition!

Do you have any pictures of the J hook and strap? Looks to be a field modification.

Nickman, what is your indication for a field repair? Is it the stitching?

LEAVE IT ALONE

"Do you have any recommendation how to prevent the leather from drying out? I assume best is to leave as is but what storage conditions help to protect it? Is there any best practice in the collectors' community?"

Ive heard the best thing to do with them is leave them alone. Some folks keep them upside down to keep stress off the webbing. Some people keep them wrapped up in storage boxes. My guess, is that most people put them on shelves in a room in their house and of course not storred in the basement, unless its dry. Prob best to keep them out of the sunlight. It all depends on the collector. I lke to see mine so they are on shelves in a room.

I have one M1 cheaters helmet from the 50's or 60's and I keep that on an upper shelf in a closet padded with a blanket.

Its delicate. Dont wax or varnish them. Some peop[le have in the past. Dont clean them.

You could put lanolin on the leather but thats not a good idea as it will leave it a sticky mess.

Best to leave it be keep it dry normal temp, and out of direct sunlight. Look at em but mostly leave em be.

If you store em in boxes or totes, it will keep the dust off. But I like looking at mine.

Darn nice helmet by the way at a fantastic price !!! Congrats !!!

"Do you have any recommendation how to prevent the leather from drying out? I assume best is to leave as is but what storage conditions help to protect it? Is there any best practice in the collectors' community?"

Ive heard the best thing to do with them is leave them alone. Some folks keep them upside down to keep stress off the webbing. Some people keep them wrapped up in storage boxes. My guess, is that most people put them on shelves in a room in their house and of course not storred in the basement, unless its dry. Prob best to keep them out of the sunlight. It all depends on the collector. I lke to see mine so they are on shelves in a room.

I have one M1 cheaters helmet from the 50's or 60's and I keep that on an upper shelf in a closet padded with a blanket.

Its delicate. Dont wax or varnish them. Some peop[le have in the past. Dont clean them.

You could put lanolin on the leather but thats not a good idea as it will leave it a sticky mess.

Best to leave it be keep it dry normal temp, and out of direct sunlight. Look at em but mostly leave em be.

If you store em in boxes or totes, it will keep the dust off. But I like looking at mine.

Darn nice helmet by the way at a fantastic price !!! Congrats !!!

I do a kind of compromise, not enough space to display them all so I rotate them. Good advice with the sunlight, I will put the leather chinstrap on the inside to better protect it and otherwise not clean or otherwise treat it.

35 dollars? Go buy a lottery ticket!

PS. About the leather, Rooster77 pretty much said it all. I've heard some collectors use a product called rennaissance wax and I've been advised to use it, but products like these will seal your leather after which it won't be able to breathe. If you feel the leather can take it, you may periodically apply a bit of leather care product or body milk. If the leather you want to preserve is already very dry, avoid these practices and avoid handling. The sweatband will probably accept a periodical maintenance with leather care, that said it doesn't require it and will probably do fine as long as storage conditions (temp, humidity, exposure to light) are optimal. The leather liner chin straps on the other hand are fragile and are best off stored in a dry, dark place with as little intervention as possible.

I'll observe the condition but don't do anything unless it is getting worse. Now that I know it is authentic, I'll handle with the greatest care. The helmet has survived for such a long time as it is, I don't want to become the one who ruined it...

Leave it alone!

Yep, will do

Leave the leather alone, as long as it's inside out of direct natural light the leather shouldn't be an issue. Applying any sort of conditioning to the leather will require reapplication over time and repeat

Yes, I made this experience with old leather already, I only treat it if in an condition it can't get worse to stabilize it,

Thank you very much all for getting back to me and sharing your suggestions - Much appreciated !!

LEAVE IT ALONE

No worries, will not mess around with this one, would be a crime to destroy it. For me it is a kind of time traveler as it is and a great piece of history, happy to own it !!