WW2 M1 helmet complete with shrimp net - How much is authentic

Luxview

I want to bring up this helmet for discussion to get your insights on its authenticity. It was offered on Ebay as "Post War US" without any further details for so little money that I probably couldn't do anything wrong. It is front seam, fixed bales, Westinghouse liner, and with a shrimp net. Problem is, it looks much too fresh, especially for a helmet with net I would expect traces of field use. Now I wonder if it was completed or fully restored even. For sure the shell was over-painted but don't have the knowledge to assess if it was period or not. What are your thoughts? I can provide details, if any need?

post-233171-0-52996600-1579814091_thumb.jpg

I like it. It may be a put together set but I believe all parts look original. I wouldn't be surprised if (at the very least) the liner was paired with the helmet at a later date.

That being said, that Westinghouse liner looks to be in fantastic condition!

Do you have any pictures of the J hook and strap? Looks to be a field modification.

I like it. It may be a put together set but I believe all parts look original. I wouldn't be surprised if (at the very least) the liner was paired with the helmet at a later date.

That being said, that Westinghouse liner looks to be in fantastic condition!

Do you have any pictures of the J hook and strap? Looks to be a field modification.

I took these pictures this morning with my mobile while still dark outside, hope it will be good enough.

post-233171-0-90685300-1579857486.jpg

post-233171-0-32890400-1579857500.jpg

You made my day, guys !!

Thank you very much for having a look at this helmet, appreciate your comments. Happy to own a genuine, put together piece - I don’t want to come across too paranoid but when I learned one thing here in the forum than to apply sound skepticism when something looks a bit too good. And I was very skeptical especially that leather can look as fresh after so many years.

This one was posted as a $35 buy it now offer and I was lucky enough to discover it early enough to go for it quicker than anybody else, at that time only realizing from the pictures that it was front seam and had a right looking net. Thought if not good, I probably still could pass it on to a reenactor easily but that was obviously my lucky day – More than happy now to keep it and give the helmet a new home.

At $35 that's a steal :). Congratulations!

And yes, leather can still look fresh after all those years. It all depends on how much it was used/worn and the conditions it was stored in.

post-169612-0-72691700-1579874417_thumb.jpg

Rene

At $35 that's a steal :). Congratulations!

And yes, leather can still look fresh after all those years. It all depends on how much it was used/worn and the conditions it was stored in.

attachicon.gifSAM_8339a.jpg

Rene

Thank you very much - I am well aware, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price !!

Do you have any recommendation how to prevent the leather from drying out? I assume best is to leave as is but what storage conditions help to protect it? Is there any best practice in the collectors' community?

"Do you have any recommendation how to prevent the leather from drying out? I assume best is to leave as is but what storage conditions help to protect it? Is there any best practice in the collectors' community?"

Ive heard the best thing to do with them is leave them alone. Some folks keep them upside down to keep stress off the webbing. Some people keep them wrapped up in storage boxes. My guess, is that most people put them on shelves in a room in their house and of course not storred in the basement, unless its dry. Prob best to keep them out of the sunlight. It all depends on the collector. I lke to see mine so they are on shelves in a room.

I have one M1 cheaters helmet from the 50's or 60's and I keep that on an upper shelf in a closet padded with a blanket.

Its delicate. Dont wax or varnish them. Some peop[le have in the past. Dont clean them.

You could put lanolin on the leather but thats not a good idea as it will leave it a sticky mess.

Best to leave it be keep it dry normal temp, and out of direct sunlight. Look at em but mostly leave em be.

If you store em in boxes or totes, it will keep the dust off. But I like looking at mine.

Darn nice helmet by the way at a fantastic price !!! Congrats !!!

35 dollars? Go buy a lottery ticket!

PS. About the leather, Rooster77 pretty much said it all. I've heard some collectors use a product called rennaissance wax and I've been advised to use it, but products like these will seal your leather after which it won't be able to breathe. If you feel the leather can take it, you may periodically apply a bit of leather care product or body milk. If the leather you want to preserve is already very dry, avoid these practices and avoid handling. The sweatband will probably accept a periodical maintenance with leather care, that said it doesn't require it and will probably do fine as long as storage conditions (temp, humidity, exposure to light) are optimal. The leather liner chin straps on the other hand are fragile and are best off stored in a dry, dark place with as little intervention as possible.