dhcoleterracina

Hitler's House American Flag posted on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitlers-House-American-Flag-WW2-Signed-and-dated-48-star-U-S-army-RARE/293432521602?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I hope this link works, my first attempt at posting a link.

On ebay, a US flag is posted for sale claiming to be the first US flag flown at Hitler's Eagles Nest. You can buy this gem for $23,000 or make an offer. The flag itself it a generic (non-military) 48 star flag with printed stars. The only proof offered is that someone has written on the hoist that it was the first flag flown at the Eagles Nest in May 1945. No provenance is offered. The seller posts photos from 1945 of a US flag being flown there but no way can you tell any identifiable details of the original flag.

Here again, another flag claiming to be from a historical event with no proof aside from someones inscription on the flag. When he changes this to a auction, how high will it go?

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Yep, that's an American flag alright.....

:huh:

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

Because all Airborne soldiers carry large, commercially made America flags as part of their standard load-out right :blink:

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

oh boy.........

This is going to be a fun thread..

owen

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Because all Airborne soldiers carry large, commercially made America flags as part of their standard load-out right :blink:

At the end of the war, there were soldiers carrying US flags around for various reasons. I knew of a 2nd ID soldier vet who said he draped one over his halftrack just as the Germans did with their flags, to avoid fratricide from USAAF aircraft near the end of the war. He still had the flag which was in terrible shape at that point.

While I don't buy into the story to merit spending any more money than I would any other 48-star flag, I have to wonder.

Let's say I was a WW2 solider at the end of the war, had such a flag, ran it up the pole and then took it home. I would keep it around and it's likely my family would eventually wind up with it. But in the end, at the most, I would only have made something I wrote myself saying what it was, and if I was lucky, a photo of it on the pole (which wouldn't be likely) as I wouldn't be thinking of future generations worried if my notation on the flag was 'proof' it'd been there.

In other words, who would have gone to any more effort to mark the flag back then, even if it is exactly what the seller says it is?

You'd have to accept this on faith because there's little chance there would have been documentation back then to prove this flag was there.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

Here again, another flag claiming to be from a historical event with no proof aside from someones inscription on the flag.

In fact even the name is not readable so effectively there is zero provenance for this:

"Extremely RARE!

"First American flag to fly over Hitler's house, Berchtesgaden, Germany, May (5), 1945"
48 Star
Signed
Very valuable collectible from Hitler's Berghoff, "eagle's nest"
Well known from the TV show "Band of Brothers" and their time there at the end of WW2.
They flag was raised on may 5, 1945 after a successful bombing and capture of the town. They took the Nazi flag flying over Hitlers house down the day before and then gave the house to french soldiers. They later wanted to raise a flag, but the french would not let them through until they agreed to fly both countries flags. However the french flag was too large and simply drug on the ground, so only the American flag flew.
The site is also well known for being captured by the airborne company featured in 'Band of Brothers' however they arrived after it was already captured.
There is a name written on the flag but is mostly illegible and I could not identify the individual. "

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

For Sale...13 Star Flag, feels like silk, marked "Geo. Washington carried this flag as he crossed the Delaware River December 25th 1776"

post-573-0-80835300-1579734259_thumb.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Just PM me your offers in excess of $3,000,000.

Coming soon! The actual flag flown on the moon during the second lunar landing, it was returned to Earth because the second mission was a secret.

Coming soon! The actual flag flown on the moon during the second lunar landing, it was returned to Earth because the second mission was a secret.

Actually, NASA bought several different commercial US flags, then made it a secret as to which company provided the ones that went to the Moon. It's still a secret to this very day as NASA didn't want any company to use that as ad copy.

You guys think we're nuts as collectors? We have nothing on Space program collectors!

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

For Sale...13 Star Flag, feels like silk, marked "Geo. Washington carried this flag as he crossed the Delaware River December 25th 1776"

Haha awesome!

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Andy
ASMIC# 5617

Looking for the following Items:
Original WWII SSI (all services)

Original Theater made OEF/OIF Patches

ALWAYS INTERESTED TO TRADE DUPLICATES

You got to do something creative to sell all those old flags.

donation2013.gif

Seriously though I didn't know that about the moon flags, interesting info..

According to Annin Flag Company, they claim the Iwo Jima Mt Suribachi flag(s), however both of those flags were made by the US Navy at Mare Island. Annin also claims that 186 Annin flags went to the moon and returned to be given out by the astronauts as souvenirs.

Valley Forge Flag Co claim that their flag was the flag of the Pacific Fleet. I still believe that most Navy flags were made at Naval yards right up to the end of the war. Perhaps they also made flags toward the end of the war to meet the increased demand but they were far from being the flag makers of the Pacific Fleet.

It's a business and no harm is really done.

Do You have free shipping?

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

I believe the signature by the grommet is A. Shet. I found enlistment records on Fold3 and ancestry.com for Sgt. Alfred E. Shet, who was one of the famed Cottonbalers of the 7th I.R., 3rd I.D., who fought from North Africa to the storied unit's capture of Hitler's House, aka, Kehlsteinhaus, aka the Eagle's Nest. I found a few photos of him online, probably posted by his proud family, Anyone is welcome to pass this on to the seller to supplement the solid provenance of this historic flag. I'm working on refing so I can bid on this ebay auction before it ends, I expect the competition will be fierce.

post-18406-0-99425500-1579774191_thumb.jpg

You guys are having a lot of fun with this!

If this flag was signed and dated by various members of E 2/506 and a photo was provided of them signing it in 1945, and the flag came from the family of an Easy Company veteran, it might be worth it.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Seriously though I didn't know that about the moon flags, interesting info..

According to Annin Flag Company, they claim the Iwo Jima Mt Suribachi flag(s), however both of those flags were made by the US Navy at Mare Island. Annin also claims that 186 Annin flags went to the moon and returned to be given out by the astronauts as souvenirs.

Valley Forge Flag Co claim that their flag was the flag of the Pacific Fleet. I still believe that most Navy flags were made at Naval yards right up to the end of the war. Perhaps they also made flags toward the end of the war to meet the increased demand but they were far from being the flag makers of the Pacific Fleet.

It's a business and no harm is really done.

Well, false claims are false claims..someone would be influenced to purchase based on that claim, duping folks=harm to me..

*SEMPER FORTIS*

USN '92-'96 USS GEORGE WASHINGTON CVN-73

HONOR*COURAGE*COMMITMENT

Seller accepts no returns is all I need to see

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Well, false claims are false claims..someone would be influenced to purchase based on that claim, duping folks=harm to me..

It's one thing to add to, embellish or proclaim things about whatever it is in your collection that you are caretaker of as it's your property. But as soon as you offer it for sale, and start making representations of what it is as inducement for people to rely on in deciding whether to buy (or bid) you've taken it to a new level where what you are saying about it actually matters. The harm or injury happens when someone actually puts out money and buys the thing based on the misrepresentations. .

Regarding the first flag of the thread, maybe the seller believes what it says or at least hopes it's true. 22 sales, claims he loves or is obsessed with military things. On ebay less than a year. Now if he starts selling other questionable flags like that other guy then we'll have our answer. The flag itself has printed stars and our government, to this day doesn't contract out for flags with printed stars. It's NOT a military flag. Could someone have brought their home flag with them? I suppose. A 48 star flag dates from 1912 to 1959. The closest to printed stars were painted stars from Mare Island during 1944 and 1945 (perhaps late 43).

I had reached out to the Marine Corp Museum curator about the two Mt. Suribachi flags that they possess. He was very cooperative and gave me copies of documents about the flags. Both made at Mare Island. The Annin Flag Company shouldn't claim that they made the flags.