Help me out please with this WWII jacket

Irish Rob

This is a photo of my Dad, taken March 1945, at a studio in Lyon France. I don't think it's US military issue, or at least I haven't found a match. He was with B Co, 36th Engineer Combat Regiment. Perhaps picked it up in Italy (Anzio/Rome), perhaps in southern France after Operation Dragoon. After this time the unit moved through southern Germany, Bavaria, ending in Innsbruck.

post-17556-0-61761400-1579715073_thumb.jpg

Yes its seems a leather jacket, but not a military one ( as A2 jacket) I can't see any insigna.....very curious.

Did he kept and you now ?

Looks private purchase, if you had the money at the time. Im sure there was plenty of options for non military clothing

In the combat zone. much more likely three-finger discount :)

Judging by the photo it looks like occupation period, I doubt wartime many GIs would be posing for pictures. Still a cool photo, Ive seen all sorts of things used by GIs or worn.

Obviously a studio photo, photographers often kept props and clothing around so the jacket may have belonged to the studio and your father liked it and wore it for the picture. Especially if he was wearing a beat up old field jacket when he went in.

Here is a jacket from a WW2 officer who was in the 11th Armored.I had a fair portion of his group and attended a tag sale of his daughter.This was in the closet.I thought possibly it had been her husbands and then saw a laundry number stamped in the neck area.It had belonged to her father.

post-342-0-37463300-1579804497.jpg

post-342-0-43994300-1579804512.jpg

post-342-0-46151600-1579804530_thumb.jpg

Nice photo of your dad, thanks for sharing. Agree with non US military, but would be nice to identify maker. These jackets are an interesting niche in vintage clothing imo. One of mine I have picked up through the years...

post-3673-0-28429800-1579813618.jpg

Thank you everyone. His buddy’s photo, same day and studio, is in a 1942 pattern Mackinaw Jeep coat. I do think it’s something he picked up along the way for a bit of style, and if the squad leader didn’t care, why not. At the end of his life when he was in hospice the nurse asked him about his service, and he proud reply was “I was with Patton!” That’s what the men thought about the general 75 years later.