Dog tag

surdescharbonsardents

Seems to be him. Initial enlistment as shown by your database, became an aviation cadet, then commissioned as an officer. Lula was his mother. Following the war he became a reverend.

post-177310-0-46693700-1579636971_thumb.jpg

His primary unit was a basic flight school (at Goodfellow Field, in San Angelo, Texas). I don't see him in the flight line instructors, not too sure what his role was, but don't see any indication he ever flew in combat overseas.

Source: Newspapers.com

Publication: Tucson Daily Citizen

Issue Date: Monday, April 2, 1962

Page: Page 35

IN THE CLASSROOM

Preacher Turns Teacher; By HELEN PASTERNAK

A group of Townsend Junior High School students studying wood working are shown how to use a planer by the Rev. Rolan E. Wiley, who fills in as a Tucson District 1 substitute teacher. Most of the time when the Rev. Rolan E. Wiley, walks into a classroom he is accepted as just another substitute teacher. But occasionally, students get curious as to what their 'Mr. Wiley" does when not filling in as an instructor in a Tucson District 1 junior or senior high school. “I thought you sounded like a preacher," is often the response of students when they learn his vocation. The Rev. Mr. Wiley's full-time job is ministering to the 300-member congregation of Pima Street Baptist Church. A former school teacher, the Rev. Mr. Wiley, who is 45, now fills in as a substitute about once a week to teach mathematics, social studies, shop and physical education, classes. The full-time job of the Rev. Rolan E. Wiley is pastor of Pima Street Baptist Church, where he is shown in the pulpit. "I can't do more because of my church work. I don't teach when it interferes with church activities," he said. A 1941 graduate of West-Texas State College, the Rev. Mr. Wiley taught in Texas schools until World War. It was during which time he served, as a pilot. Upon leaving the service, he entered Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Texas. He continued teaching on a part-time basis following his ordination as minister ''because of my interest in young people and in school systems. His wife, Inell, also a teacher, works at the Nash School in Amphitheater. The couple has two children;. Karl, 16, and Carol; 11. The main problem facing any substitute teacher, according to the Rev. Mr. Wiley, is discipline. The students know a person is a substitute and like to take advantage, he said. The job of substitute he said is made easier if the regular teacher leaves a plan to follow. Otherwise, the Rev. Mr. Wiley said, he has to get to school early in order to become acquainted with the class material. On teaching and preaching, the Rev. Mr. Wiley said, "Basically, there is a similarity when dealing with youth. You have the same challenge in the school and in the church." Asked whether the attitude of students changes when they learn he is a clergyman, he said, "There Is no noticeable difference among students whether they know it or not. He added: "I love to teach, “I'd rather teach than go fishing." A native of Lakeview, Tex., the Rev. Mr. Wiley came to Tucson three years ago from San Manuel, where he had been pastor of the First Baptist Church.

Source: Newspapers.com

Publication: Tucson Daily Citizen

Issue Date: Wednesday, July 10, 1968

Page: Page 24

WEDNESDAY, JULY 10, 1968 REV. R. E. WILEY Baptist Youth Counselor Succumbs

A Southern Baptist preacher who carried on a youth counseling program in Tucson for more than three years after he learned he had a fatal illness died yesterday. He was the Rev. Rolan E. Wiley, 51, of 1809 Avenida Del Sol, a native of Lakeview, Tex., who was ordained in 1947 at Ft. Worth, Tex., after serving as an Army Air Corps pilot from 1942 to 1945. After serving as pastor seven years, the Rev. Mr. Wiley in 1964 became a youth counselor of the Southern Baptist Convention and served here until last December. He had come to Arizona in 1957 from pastorates in Texas and Oklahoma. The Southern Baptist Convention has about 40 churches and missions in Pima County. The youth counselor gave specialized assistance to children in trouble and their parents, mostly when referred by other' pastors. He saw about 25 children a month. Southern Baptist leaders of Arizona will be at Twenty-Second Street Baptist Church at 3 p.m. Friday for the funeral of the Rev. Mr. Wiley. Officiating at the funeral service will he the Rev. M. E. McGlamery of Tucson, president of the Arizona Southern Baptist Convention. He will be assisted by the Rev. Irving Childress, former church leader here who now is state director of evangelism. Heading the honorary pallbearers will be the Rev. Dr. Charles McKay of Phoenix, executive director for Southern Baptists in Arizona. The honorary pallbearers will include all Southern Baptist pastors in Tucson. The Rev. Mr. Wiley was second pastor of the First Baptist Church at San Manuel. He came to Tucson in 1959 as pastor of the Pima Street Baptist Church. About this time he also became a substitute teacher in Tucson School District No. 1 in the field of special education. In 1964 the SBC Home Mission Board appointed him a youth counselor for all of the Southern Baptist Churches in the Tucson area and he was given an office at the Twenty-Second Street Church and also acted as assistant pastor there. When he became too ill to come to his office, he received young people and their parents at home until last December. He died at Tucson Medical Center. The Rev. Mr. Wiley is survived by his wife Inell; a son, Karl, of Midland, Tex.; a daughter, Carol, of Tucson; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. M.A. Wiley, of Memphis, Tex. His brothers and sisters are M. C. Wiley of Concord, Calif., J.W. Wiley of Santa Ana, Calif.; Vernie and Troy Wiley of Amarillo, Tex., Gaylon Wiley of Madison, Kans., and Mrs. Neal Smith of Morton, Tex. Burial by Adair Funeral Home will be at Tucson Memorial Park-East Lawn.

Posted Today, 09:02 PM

Nice! What I had for Goodfellow was a bit later than these so I suspect he moved on by 1945. Any sign of him elsewhere?

Thanks. I could find no indication of him being elsewhere while in the military but that doesn't exactly mean he wasn't.