WWI USMC Group

crater

Picked this up last Friday

Your thoughts on this Indian head patch and which unit its from.

Silver star looks newer then the other medals.

Greatly appreciate any help getting the record of F B u s i k

Good conduct medal No 27492

Dog tag number 122615

Thanks

post-8790-0-42735000-1579581119_thumb.jpg

That is a 2nd Division HQ patch and Busik was indeed in that unit after the 95th company. What patch is he wearing in the photo?

The experts probably need to chime in on the date of the SS.

Ferdinand Busik

AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION:1 of 2
6997-medal.png Silver Star Citation AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War I Service: Marine Corps Rank: Corporal Division: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces GENERAL ORDERS:

Citation Orders, 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces

CITATION:

By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D., 1918), Corporal Ferdinand Busik (MCSN: 92935), United States Marine Corps, is cited by the Commanding General, SECOND Division, American Expeditionary Forces, for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Corporal Busik distinguished himself while serving with the 95th Company, Sixth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces at Chateau-Thierry, France, 6 June - 10 July 1918.

Very nice grouping. The patch in the photo looks to be the same unit, possibly the same patch to me. The patch is definitely WWI. The Silver Star is always newer than the other medals in these groupings because it wasn’t introduced until 1932 and he would have had to apply for it sometime after that. The remaining medals were issued in WWI. If he did apply for it though, he would have received one engraved to him, so this may be a replacement. Hard to tell the vintage without seeing the brooch on the back, etc., is there a number on the rim of the star? Very nice grouping, would be better if the star was named but very nice all the same. He was cited for Belleauwood and that formed the basis for the receipt of the Silver Star later. According to his Victory medal he served in every battle the Marines took part in during WWI.

The 95th was first battalion 6th Marines. They had a red diamond, Star Indianhead patch bit unknown if he would have received it depends on when he was assigned to HQ.

Hello,

That is an outstanding medal group to a brave Marine. Ferdinand Busik was killed in an automobile accident in October 1919. Someone had to have added the Silver Star to your group since Busik was not able to apply for the medal in 1932. Here is a newspaper article about his death.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/2244/32277_1220702381_0007-00049

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Very nice grouping! Interesting, the dog tags are not marked "USMC" but "USA" for Army.

Bruce, nice piece of sleuthing!

Thanks for posting!

Best,

Bill K.

Nice group. As Bruce pointed out the Silver Star w/OLC, to which Busic was entitled, was added much later. The patch is a vintage 2nd Div HQ and appears to be the one worn in the photo. Copies of his records will definitely enhance this group. The USA marked dog tags are a puzzle. Semper Fi - Bobgee

The patch is not the one in the photo. Note the number of white "blocks" between the face and feathers (3 on the posted patch, 5 on the one in the photo). And, a "WW1" patch like this being sewn to a wool background is a red flag to me.

What is the origin of this grouping? If straight from the family, then perhaps just some sort of tribute assemblage put together many decades later,including a newer Silver Star and a replica 2nd Div Patch. If from a dealer with no provenance, too much of a stretch for me that it's a legit grouping. The patch being different is the main problem for me (once the line that a key piece being added has been crossed, then the entire grouping is suspect).

Sorry Bruce for mix up on the name on the last post met to say Eric is there anyway to post the second of the awards.

Warguy thanks for the info. Here's a pic of the back. No number on the rim

post-8790-0-95425000-1579752994_thumb.jpg

The 1937 Second Division history confirms his 2 Silver Citation Stars. It appears that he wears one silver star on his ribbon bar. He received his first as stated at Belleau Wood and his second at Soissons, no citation noted, along with two Croix de Guerre, one Gold & one Silver star. No citations or exact dates. This info will likely be found in his personal record file. It's possible that someone in the family in the 1940s or 50s requested the Silver Star Medal. If so there may be copies of letters in his file also. If I owned this group I would be getting his records from the NPRC. It will also likely confirm the award of his GCM by number.

Re: the patch. I agree that it is not the same one in the photo. It appears to me to be a vintage 2nd Div HQ patch. Semper Fi! Bobgee