1/35 Scale M8 Gun Motor Carriage

Old Marine

Militaria collection has been very slow so that leave more time for models. This is the old Tamiya M8 Gun Motor Carriage kit. This Gun is with the 2nd Armored Division during the Hedgerow fighting in Normandy. I based the use of the foliage camouflage on one wartime photo I found online.

As I said this is the old Tamiya kit and was made to be motorized. This kit still has the slits for the off/on switch on the bottom of the model. Because it is such an old kit it's not up to today's standards in regard to detail and fit I decided to try out the foliage camouflage. I think it worked out pretty well. The tree branches are made by Greenstuff International, GWS-SNT-248ES "Tall Shrubbery". This is a new product and works really well.

Anyway the M8 is not one of the more well remembered pieces of mobile artillery. But from what I have read these were used a lot, very close up in support of the Infantry. I guess this is the closest US equivalent to the German Assault Gun. This Carriage mounted a 75mm Howitzer.

Here are some more photos. If anyone has anymore photos or information please feel free to post them.

Thanks

Dennis

post-2843-0-25063000-1579572752.jpg

Nice Dennis, looks like you were busy over the holidays. The foliage camouflage came out excellent and along with the weathering with pastels(I believe) and the soldier's packs and equipment you really covered up any shortcomings this kit might've had. It looks great. I also like the netting on the engine hull. Did you make that out of cheese cloth or is that from Verlinden? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL. All in all, a splendid vehicle.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks for the comments. Manny, I have giant industrial size spool of WWII vintage OD cotton sewing thread. I asked my wife to crochet a small square with the thread. When laid out flat it doesn't really look like a camo net, but rolled up like that it looks just fine. The garnish is just painted roller gauze.