Period photos of infantry in tanker jackets?

garrettbragg12

garrettbragg12

I’m not sure if this is the right sub forum, but I’m interested in photos of infantry (preferably armored) wearing tanker jackets in WWII!

Well... you need to search the web. Theres stuff out there but takes some searching.

heres an article with some pics and heres a few pics.

https://www.military-history.org/articles/6th-armored-infantry-regiment-at-monte-porchia-1944.htm

These attached images are tankers but theres some infantry in the link.

post-181333-0-89589300-1579583607_thumb.jpg

Tanker Jackets were popular among staff officers in the 29th ID at Normandy and forward, and you will find pics of NCOs and occasionally EMs wearing them as well.

The jacket is actually a Cold Weather combat jacket and has taken on the name of "Tanker" jacket due to so many armored personel wearing them.I have seen pictures of fighter pilots wearing them also.I have one to a Sgt who flew ferry missions from Alasla to Russia and has the squadron patch.

The combat jackets and trousers were very popular in the Italian theatre and often seen in photos of the 34th Division,88th Division etc.

Well... you need to search the web. Theres stuff out there but takes some searching.

heres an article with some pics and heres a few pics.

https://www.military-history.org/articles/6th-armored-infantry-regiment-at-monte-porchia-1944.htm

These attached images are tankers but theres some infantry in the link.

Intresting picture.Looks like the 1st pattern jacket with patch pockets.

Tanker Jackets were very prevalent among the Infantry Divisions in Italy in 1943 into 1944, IE the 3rd, 34th, 36th and 45th Infantry Divisions

post-34986-0-93671600-1579747538.jpg

Commando Charlie Kelly 36th Inf Div at Salerno, he gets the Medal of Honor for actions there.

garrettbragg12

Tanker Jackets were very prevalent among the Infantry Divisions in Italy in 1943 into 1944, IE the 3rd, 34th, 36th and 45th Infantry Divisions

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif nju.jpg

Commando Charlie Kelly 36th Inf Div at Salerno, he gets the Medal of Honor for actions there.

What a great look with the cartridge belt! How cool!

And worn by a 1st Sgt, an October or November 1944 photo of Eisenhower visiting the 29th Inf Div in either the Aachen area or the Roer area. Of note is the continued use of the Blue and Grey Division's signature wearing of the Steel Helmet Chin Strap buckled under the chin, and the wearing of ribbons and CIBs on the outer field upper garments for this special occasion.

post-34986-0-94543400-1405997407.jpg

The Regimental Surgeon 16th Inf 1st Inf Div Major Charles E. Tegtmeyer center with the regimental commander George Taylor, second from right and three regimental staff officers, June 44, all wear the Tanker Jacket

Tegtmeyer16thIRStaff.jpg

• 1 year later...

I forgot, what division is this guy in again, 103rd Division? But in the meantime, another Gravel Agitator wearing a Tanker Jacket Germany 1945.

eb3b7410.jpg.ac3f50594b065f154a2b74d4de1dab6c.jpg

And a POW in the Ardennes wearing a Tanker Jacket, December 1944, near Honsfeld, from the 99th Infantry Division.

Ber.jpg

Oh I almost forgot, the Tanker Jacket was worn extensively by the Rangers in Africa, Sicily and Italy, here's a large group from the destroyed 1st and 3rd Ranger Battalions in Rome, surrendered or captured at Anzio.

78ecx1e7rl031.jpg

4 hours ago, Nack said:

Here’s a tanker jacket from a fellow who served with the 69th ID.  The photo of Mr. Daniels seems to depict infantry brass.  https://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque.aspx?honoreeID=286956  Any thoughts or other information, feel free to post.

1468EBA4-6479-43A8-8DC9-34D3A1C79E95.jpeg

We suspect Daniels was not in the 69th Infantry Division during the course of the war, you'll note his large amount of Overseas Bars, 3 Years Overseas, the 69th Division had 9 months overseas, and wear 1 Oversees Bar. No CIB we see, the Disc may be then Field Artillery Crossed Cannons.

photo.aspx.jpg

8 hours ago, patches said:

We suspect Daniels was not in the 69th Infantry Division during the course of the war, you'll note his large amount of Overseas Bars, 3 Years Overseas, the 69th Division had 9 months overseas, and wear 1 Oversees Bar. No CIB we see, the Disc may be then Field Artillery Crossed Cannons.

Many thanks, Patches.  I too was puzzled, but I must confess that I am no longer up to speed on how soldiers transferred between units.  Not sure if thus will help, but here’s the index card with notes collected from the vet when the jacket was acquired.  I wonder if the number “314” is a clue as to the unit he primarily served with.AB128C1F-620E-4241-8FCF-F4058BEB011C.jpeg.7cddb34df413ce1acb0aa94d9e2c2ece.jpeg

postmanusnac

Depending on what unit he was in originally, he was probably transferred to the 69th when his original unit was sent home for disestablishment and he didn’t have the right amount of points.

I have a right shoulder COMZ patched M/Sgt jacket with 69th Division patch on the left shoulder and also a Co. G collar disc. The jacket also didn’t include a CIB.

I have a roster for the 272nd Inf and can check later to see if he is listed.

36thIDAlex

Here's my contribution of fellows from the 36th, it was a pretty popular jacket amongst guys in the division. Photos are from France, Germany, and the two are the famous ones from right after the Rapido

wine.jpeg.8a29267eed11450091f2e2829b048118.jpegMajorMiltonLandry141stIRRapido.jpg.808fdd72de2aa26599d62885608e6e5a.jpg1426615857_evacwoundedrapido(1).jpg.72f31663860ac6e383228c1aeeb4bd9b.jpg111thbnstaff.jpg.2aaf81e60860dc8df47c4be5a6e67755.jpgayers17.jpg.cb5518ed488d94b6aa04c4fa7fdee3dc.jpg

5 hours ago, postmanusnac said:

Depending on what unit he was in originally, he was probably transferred to the 69th when his original unit was sent home for disestablishment and he didn’t have the right amount of points.

I have a right shoulder COMZ patched M/Sgt jacket with 69th Division patch on the left shoulder and also a Co. G collar disc. The jacket also didn’t include a CIB.

I have a roster for the 272nd Inf and can check later to see if he is listed.

Makes sense.  Many thanks!