US Ross Bayonet

Brian Keith

I recently picked this up, been looking for a decent example for a reasonable price. It is a bit on the rough side, but the sheath is better than average. As you may know, the US purchased many thousands of the Ross rifles with bayonets from Canada early in the US involvement in WW I. The US used them for training as stocks of ‘03’s and ‘17’s were produced. The US did not use them in combat, but are an interesting part of WW I history.
Thanks for looking, comments welcome!
BKW
post-1549-0-14435800-1579547019_thumb.jpg
post-1549-0-16132700-1579547039_thumb.jpg
More photos to follow

A lot of these I see were cut shorter to use as knives. It's nice to see that yours is the proper length and doesn't show any modifications.

Thanks or your comments, I've only seen a few at shows since I've been looking. I'd like to upgrade the condition, but at least I've got it checked off the bucket list!

BKW

I understand there were at least two patterns and possibly a third. Do you know anything about an early one (first 3-5k) that is supposed to be quite rare and commands a significant premium, and if so do you know how to determine what it is. I while ago I was doing some internet research and it was priced at over $1K because it has some early characteristic and now I cannot find it. I have what I guess is a common one that is both US and Canadian Marked. I believe its a first pattern (MkI) with the extended muzzle ring or barrel hole.