ranger modified DCU coat?

PaulS

I got a good deal on this coat along a couple of others. Can anyone tell me if this DCU coat is a legit Ranger modified piece? If it is, what patches would normally go on it? There is a square piece of velcro centered below the back of the collar (pic 2). Is this for an IR patch? Rank on coat is Army sgt. major. The coat has a flag shaped piece of velcro above the added pockets on sleeves.

post-9337-0-62513500-1579503853_thumb.jpg

post-9337-0-38937500-1579503862_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

No this is not a ranger uniform. Rangers had an extremely standardized set of modifications for the DCU.

The standard ranger DCU is sewn on OD name and branch tape and rank. A flag sized black piece of black velcro is placed in the center of the sleeve pockets. A 1x1 inch square of black velcro is placed on the flap of the left sleeve pocket for an IR or glint square.

Deviations from these specifications were extremely rare in the regiment.

With that said its a nice uniform. You are correct the square on the back is for an IR or glint square.

No this is not a ranger uniform. Rangers had an extremely standardized set of modifications for the DCU.

The standard ranger DCU is sewn on OD name and branch tape and rank. A flag sized black piece of black velcro is placed in the center of the sleeve pockets. A 1x1 inch square of black velcro is placed on the flap of the left sleeve pocket for an IR or glint square.

Deviations from these specifications were extremely rare in the regiment.

With that said its a nice uniform. You are correct the square on the back is for an IR or glint square.

Thank you Cap Camouflage pattern I,

Is there any unit that would wear this coat configuration?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Unfortunately most units were not nearly as uniform with their modifications, and even some of the units with more standardized modifications they were more guidelines than rules.

Maybe someone will recognize the combination of all of these modifications as unique to a specific unit, but I do not.

Yours is at least a combination of fairly unusual modifications with the sewn rank, sleeve pocket flap velcro extending to the edge of the flap, and the IR square on the back.

With all these features together I think there is a chance of identifying it, some modifications are so generic there is no hope of determining the unit.

The problem with velcro uniforms is all the patches come off making identification very difficult.

With that being said, at a guess yours may be from one of the Special Forces Groups.

I highly suggest you look through this great thread started by nkomo showcasing many different modifications, but even at 24 pages it is not complete due to the endless variation in modified uniforms.

Unfortunately most units were not nearly as uniform with their modifications, and even some of the units with more standardized modifications they were more guidelines than rules.

Maybe someone will recognize the combination of all of these modifications as unique to a specific unit, but I do not.

Yours is at least a combination of fairly unusual modifications with the sewn rank, sleeve pocket flap velcro extending to the edge of the flap, and the IR square on the back.

With all these features together I think there is a chance of identifying it, some modifications are so generic there is no hope of determining the unit.

The problem with velcro uniforms is all the patches come off making identification very difficult.

With that being said, at a guess yours may be from one of the Special Forces Groups.

I highly suggest you look through this great thread started by nkomo showcasing many different modifications, but even at 24 pages it is not complete due to the endless variation in modified uniforms.

Wow! Thanks for the link to the tread. I found it very helpful and interesting.

The velcro under the collar is generally a sign of a SEAL mod. Of course that doesn't really go with the Army ranks so that is out. The fact that the ranks aren't velcro like everything else is a bit different. As Cap said there are a lot of patterns that identify a particular unit but there is also a lot of variation. Its going to depend on unit, location, dates of deployment, CONUS vs OCONUS modified, etc. Someone will recognize it at some point.