Spanish American War identified photo find at flea market

Tonomachi

I found this photograph this morning at the flea market. I had a hard time reading the first name which looked like Carill however I believe it is Caroll based on the document I found on the Internet for a Private Caroll S. Jones with the Company C, 1st Illinois Infantry which matches the insignia pinned to the front of his shirt. However I couldn't find anything else for Caroll S. Jones which is too common of a name I guess.

post-1389-0-57690900-1579485549_thumb.jpg

Looks right down to the lead back crossed rifles. The 1st Ill. had interesting service, arriving in Cuba before hostilities ended. They marched from disembarkation at Siboney up to San Juan Hill outside Santiago, entering the trenches adjacent to the 1st Vol. Cav. Rough Riders. They were in the final skirmishes of July 10-17 before the cease fire. Like most regiments, malaria over the next months turned out to be their worst enemy. I have a grouping from a Co. G soldier. His granddaughter told me he was very ill after returning, the effects lingering for a year or so, but afterwards he was barely sick a day the rest of his life, living into his 80's.