First set of USMC Camo P42s

beerdragon54

Bought this not too long ago and finally getting a minute to share. I was very excited to get these.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Nice! Named even, any research yet?

I must have totally forgot to try and research them. I will poke around a little now but if anyone else finds something that would be great.

olivedrab1970

I can’t tell what in God’s green earth is his name? Issued to 2 people?

I saw that, I thought the same thing..ha ha The first name looks to have a first initial?

• 2 weeks later...

Not to deter from the original aspect of this post but Ive seen some that have a greenish tone and some that have a more OD brownish tone to the lighter colors on the green side. Can someone shed some light on this, perhaps another thread has discussed this and i should seek that thread out?

Not to deter from the original aspect of this post but Ive seen some that have a greenish tone and some that have a more OD brownish tone to the lighter colors on the green side. Can someone shed some light on this, perhaps another thread has discussed this and i should seek that thread out?

D.D.: It seems to have just depended on what run(s) of cloth was used to make up a particular garment, how precisely or hurriedly the various dyes were mixed at the textileries, etc..

Below are 2 Marine Corps Utility Suits made around the same time- a '42 like Beerdragon's on the left, and a Parachutist Suit on the right. Both are in like-new condition, but 3 various dye shades can be seen. This same variance occurred with the early production of the Marines' camo Shelter Halves. When the Army started receiving the One-Piece Jungle Suits from the contractors, there was an unbelievable myriad of different colors to be seen in these coveralls. As time went on and methods were refined, the patterns produced became a lot more uniform.

post-3226-0-82706000-1580603556_thumb.jpg

One-Piece Jungle Suits, all mint except for the one in the center, which was only washed once (not by me!)...and this isn't even close to all the different colors I've seen on these.

post-3226-0-46371600-1580603743_thumb.jpg

D.D.: It seems to have just depended on what run(s) of cloth was used to make up a particular garment, how precisely or hurriedly the various dyes were mixed at the textileries, etc..

Below are 2 Marine Corps Utility Suits made around the same time- a '42 like Beerdragon's on the left, and a Parachutist Suit on the right. Both are in like-new condition, but 3 various dye shades can be seen. This same variance occurred with the early production of the Marines' camo Shelter Halves. When the Army started receiving the One-Piece Jungle Suits from the contractors, there was an unbelievable myriad of different colors to be seen in these coveralls. As time went on and methods were refined, the patterns produced became a lot more uniform.

Flage Guy, that makes total sense and I thoroughly appreciate you taking the time to show me the difference. I have noticed this on a few of my helmet covers. Thank you and great collection by the way!

olivedrab1970

Flage Guy, that makes total sense and I thoroughly appreciate you taking the time to show me the difference. I have noticed this on a few of my helmet covers. Thank you and great collection by the way!

Now lets talk about helmet covers, let the fun begin!