Vietnam M-1 Helmet Graffiti Questions

oyster

Hello, I have two Vietnam M-1 helmets, and I wanted to reach out to get impressions on the graffiti on the covers. The date on one cannot be read, and the date on the headliner of the other is Oct 72. Any thoughts on the legitimacy of the in-country graffiti? Neither helmet came with any history when acquired. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

post-264016-0-83867000-1579475518.jpeg

post-264016-0-95307900-1579475537.jpeg

post-264016-0-64099900-1579475617.jpeg

post-264016-0-44373600-1579475638.jpeg

I can see what you’re saying; however, the ink appears bolder in the pictures. I also noticed the way that it has faded around the edges suggests to me that it’s been there awhile. I’m also looking at the fading on the rest of the cover, which is quite crisp as well. In the end, I suppose it’s a guessing game, unless you personally know the individual that applied it! Thank you nonetheless, I sincerely appreciate your input!

Clearer and closer pictures of the actual writing will help.

The pics are too out of focus/ low Rez to help at the Moment

- D

I was also wondering what “NORS” stood for. I believe it to be short for a last name like “Norsworthy”, but any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you everyone.

I am very suspicious of any graffitied helmet cover. These in particular look pretty fresh. Any piece of gear worn in the field gets trashed in a hurry. Rained on, dried, over and over, faded in the sun, sat on, scraped, scratched, tossed on the ground, etc etc. Add to that the fact that I’ve never met a vet that had the slightest interest in bringing stuff like that home, I’m always skeptical. I’m sure somewhere somebody did bring their helmet cover home, but I bet there are damn few of them.

Steve

I'm not an authentication expert.

i was in VN (INF PLT Leader) during the suspected helmets' time frame."Something" just doesn't seem right about the phrases written on the helmets. Also agree with above comments re:fading and especially "Cap Camo" comment about organization writing. Probably would have been more like "Bravo 1/14th 25th INF" or something similar if written at all.

Just my observation.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your reply’s and taking the time to look at these helmets and evaluate the graffiti. Thank you sincerely to those who have served!