Capture of the 150th Pennsylvania Flag at Gettysburg h

Rats of Tobruk

Rats of Tobruk

Story of the capture of the 150th Pennsylvania flag at Gettysburg:

https://npsgnmp.wordpress.com/2015/01/29/jeff-davis-joseph-gutelius-and-the-flag-of-the-150th-pennsylvania/

Important letter which was recently put up for auction:

http://www.hcaauctions.com/Signed_by_4_Confederate_Generals_Pertaining_to_a_C-LOT49359.aspx

Autographed endorsements on a Confederate letter, 1p. quarto, Head Quarters Ramseur's Brigade, July 13, 1863, addressed to Major Taylor, Robert E. Lee's AAG, that reads in part: "I have the honor to forward the accompanying flag of the 150th Penn. Volunteers, with the following statement of the circumstances under which it was captured. Upon the advance of my Brigade into the town of Gettysburg, on the 1st inst. my sharpshooters encountered and with other assistance disposed the above mentioned Regiment. Lieut. F. M. Harvey 14th N.C. I, who commanded the Corps with his own hands wrested the flag from the color bearer of the Regiment and was shortly thereafter mortally wounded. It was the dying request of this gallant and heroic officer that the flag should in his name be bequeathed to the President" This fine letter is endorsed on the verso by: "S.D. Ramseur Brig. Genl. Hagerstown July 13, 1863." Stephen Dodson RAMSEUR (1837-1864) was four times wounded in the Civil War the last one being fatal and resulted in his capture at Cedar Creek, Virginia.Endorsement Signed by "R.E. Rodes Maj. Genl." that reads "Letter accompanying Stand of Colors captured in the town of Gettysburg by Lt. Harnay, who was mortally wounded and desired the Colors to be presented to the President in his name. Hd Qrs. Rodes Division, July 13, 1863. Robert Emmett RODES, (1829-1864) Graduated from VMI. Four times wounded in the Civil War that last being a fatal wound when he was struck in the back of the head by a shell fragment at Chancellorsville.Autograph Endorsement Signed "Hd. Qrs. 2nd Army Corps July 13, 1863 Respectfully forwarded R.S. Ewell Lt. Gl." Richard Stoddert EWELL (1817-1872) Confederate lieutenant general who fought in the war from Bull Run to Appomattox, he lost a leg Groveton and was strapped in his saddle to lead his men into Pennsylvania and at Gettysburg. Autograph Endorsement Signed "Hd. Qrs 2nd Army 13 July 1863. Res. For. with the Stand of Colors For Genl. R.E. Lee W.H. Taylor A.A.G." Walter Herron Taylor (1838-1916) VMI grad. Lt. Col. who Robert E. Lee's ADC and AAG for most of the war.Autograph Endorsement Signed, "Respectfully submitted to His Excellency The President H.L. Clay A.A.G." Hugh Lawson CLAY (1823-1890) attended University of Alabama and Virginia. AAG to Gen. E.K. Smith, Heath, and Samuel Cooper.

• 2 months later...
USCapturephotos

Thanks for sharing. My wifes gggrandfather was in the 143rd PV, the one non buck tail regiment in the "Buck tail Brigade".

Paul