Sig M17 Service Pistol

kfields

Anybody else pick one up? About 3,000-ish of the earliest ones were 'surplused', returned to Sig by the Army for some minor cosmetic changes (controls changed to black, that sort of thing). Rather than redo the used pistols, they replaced with new ones and Sig made these used ones available for sale to guys like us.

I was able to pick one of these up this week and glad I did. The one I got shows use but not abused.

Collectors had to wait about 30 years for 1911's to be released and sold on the commercial market. Those few M45A1's that were released a few years back quickly rose to crazy prices in a short time. Who knows if the Beretta M9's will ever be made available so I thought I'd jump on this opportunity.

Here are a few pictures.

Kim

post-60-0-21596000-1579466079_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-60958500-1579466092_thumb.jpg

US Military Guy

No "US Property" markings?

I understand the serial number and nomenclature, just thought it odd that no "property" markings.

The 'U.S.' property marking is shown on the Fire Control Unit (FCU) in the last picture I displayed above. The FCU sets inside the plastic 'frame'. The FCU is the actual serialized firearm in this case. This is part of the whole modular design concept of modern weapons.

Kim

US Military Guy

I am not trying to be doubtful. I am just trying to understand. Evidently I need to keep up with the modern markings.

All of the weapons in my collection say "US Property" somewhere, but I don't have anything newer than an M-1 Garand that actually once belonged to Uncle Sam.

The older stuff (Springfields, Trapdoors, Muskets, etc) usually have "US".

Now that I think about it. Is that the "US" marking in front of the "9MM M17" identification? Sometimes I try and over think things.

Thanks for the information.

Charlie Flick

I have been looking for one of these myself. Anyone know of a dealer that has any?

Thanks

There are at least 10 for sale on Gunbroker.com right now. Just search SIG M17 Surplus and you will bring them up.

Regards,

Charlie

Now that I think about it. Is that the "US" marking in front of the "9MM M17" identification? Sometimes I try and over think things.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, that's the U.S. mark in front of the 9MM M17.

Kim

There are at least 10 for sale on Gunbroker.com right now. Just search SIG M17 Surplus and you will bring them up.

Regards,

Charlie

im not interested in paying 2-3 times MSRP

im not interested in paying 2-3 times MSRP

That's just it though - these are not an item that has an MSRP and they are not currently mass produced for sale to the masses with unlimited production numbers.

The civilian version is the P320 - that has an MSRP. These were US military issued and used guns which were returned to Sig. They are M17 pistols, not P320's which are marked P320 AND M17. The commemorative version is / was, but these are military issued and used, the commemoratives are not.

And I agree 100% - these will dry up and the $1200 current price will skyrocket. Just as another member stated, the same as the USMC issued and returned 45's did.

OK, let me rephrase, not willing to pay a inflated rate, yes they are starting to come down on Gunbroker.

Last week I did miss out on one for $699 online, yes it was a Surplus M17. I have talked to others who have bought them less than $700

I think they originally were released by Sig at $700, you are right on.

Didnt take long for them to nearly double in price. Surprising Sig let them go at that price actually.

• 2 weeks later...

A collector friend picked one up at a show and paid $750 OTD for it. The dealer when questioned stated that his cost was $625. GB prices are crazy/stupid. A dealer in Atlanta had 4 of them and was getting $800-$850, depending on condition.

They are going for an easy $1200 right now, with some as high as $1700+. Some are being tied to specific units (101st Airborne and 3rd ACR among others), that and the low numbers and tough availability is really pushing the prices.

This is the first time I've ever bought into a fairly newly made "collectable".

I will be curious to see where prices stabilize in the next 6-18 months :D

Kim

• 11 months later...

I was going through some old threads today and stumbled across this one.  

For those who don't know, there is a great Facebook group that deals specifically with the M17. They have instructions on how to file a FOIA to find out which unit your M17 was issued to.   I filed my FOIA paperwork about a year ago and am still waiting to get my information back. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DecommissionedSurplusSigM17OwnersAssociation

Kansas Raider

A friend of mine bought one 2 weeks ago in KC at a shop, paid $900. I told him if he finds another for the same price get it for me

I put in a FOIA request last January-February and still waiting for the results. I'm sure COVID has it all balled up.

If I were to find another one of these pistols for $900, I would snatch it immediately!

Kim

On 1/20/2021 at 8:59 PM, kfields said:

I put in a FOIA request last January-February and still waiting for the results. I'm sure COVID has it all balled up.

If I were to find another one of these pistols for $900, I would snatch it immediately!

Kim

COVID and the fact that so many of us flooded them with FOIA paperwork!  Knowing you have been waiting so long makes me feel a little better.  I thought they had lost my paperwork or something.