New member from Tennessee

TNBandit

Thanks for having me. Been messing with this stuff for many years but just found this place. First mil surp rifle was a 1903 Springfield I paid 100 bucks for if that tells you anything.. I was making $65 a week pumping gas and the little hole in the wall gun shop allowed me to make payments until I had it paid off. Now I'm retired and living on Social Security and still have to budget myself.. Some things come back around but it's all good. I think my favorite thing considering my limited budget is to find neglected or sporterised guns and bring them back to original condition. Current project is a Springfield Trapdoor Model 1873 made in 1877.

Welcome, TNBandit.

My dad (left) had a Springfield 1903 he used in competition from 1928 until 1948. While dad was in VN 1966-67 my older brother was using the rifle for hunting deer. He and his buddy did a do-it-yourself sporterize on the stock. I thought my dad was going to kill him when he found out. I gave the rifle to a friend in 1989 several years after my dad died. I still have that sling in the picture though.

He also had an 1873 trapdoor Springfield. When he came home from Korea in 1962 I took it upon myself to clean the rust off it with sandpaper as a surprise for him. Yeah, he was pretty surprised all right when he caught me in the closet going to town on the barrel. Thought he was going to kill me but he started teaching me about guns instead. The 1873 was stolen about 6 years later.

post-63795-0-80356400-1579542945_thumb.jpg

Welcome, TNBandit.

My dad (left) had a Springfield 1903 he used in competition from 1928 until 1948. While dad was in VN 1966-67 my older brother was using the rifle for hunting deer. He and his buddy did a do-it-yourself sporterize on the stock. I thought my dad was going to kill him when he found out. I gave the rifle to a friend in 1989 several years after my dad died. I still have that sling in the picture though.

He also had an 1873 trapdoor Springfield. When he came home from Korea in 1962 I took it upon myself to clean the rust off it with sandpaper as a surprise for him. Yeah, he was pretty surprised all right when he caught me in the closet going to town on the barrel. Thought he was going to kill me but he started teaching me about guns instead. The 1873 was stolen about 6 years later.

attachicon.gifCamp Perry-1931.JPG

Wow that's awesome to have that part of your family history. I have some of my dad's marksmanship medals from WWII. He was in the Coastal Artillery in Portsmouth NH watching for German U-boats sneaking in near the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. I've also got a bid box of submarine launch ribbons he collected during the war years.