Can someone please tell me what is happening here? 508th oval auction

Persian Gulf Command

It's only worth what someone will pay for it. Only 4 bidders so far on this - I doubt it's shill bidding, as the seller has excellent feedback and the bidders are well-established. Guess a couple collectors really need a 325th oval for their collection. Seller must be happy!

Persian Gulf Command

Now we're realling getting into some "Twilight Zone" territory. This oval, I also believe is a common twill center 508th, is at $660. with 4d 7h 52s left.

Yesterday, a group of us went to the Lone Star Republic Militaria Show in Dallas and if there was a theme it was that we met a number of people who said they were; "just getting started in the hobby" or that this what their; "first ever Militaria show and they were looking for xxx." I think it may be possible consumer confidence with the strong economy has finally turned a corner and more people are beginning to be comfortable spending disposable income on collectibles.

I daresay this particular instance is an example of several eager, possibly inexperienced collectors, competing for a relatively scarce item.

Chris

Brian Dentino

I would have to say that I am highly doubtful if this is actually a 325th GIR oval. As stated above, I would lean more to the 508th PIR line of thought. Most 325th are definitely more of a "blue" rather than this dark (almost appears black to me from the pictures) but I will also say that I am NOT an expert by any stretch but have seen my share of 325th ovals over the years. Allan H. is the go to guy on these and would be interested to see what he has to say about this one.

I think it has been well established that we are looking at a 508th PIR oval. What I find most interesting about the offering is that the front of the oval appears to have been held in place by two staples (one on each end) that have really affected the look at the patch. When the piece is turned over, you can plainly see that the oval has been glued into a scrap book at some point. Glue residue on the backs of patches used to be the "kiss of death" for a patch unless it was unbelievably rare. In this case, I think that the bidding is going the way that it is because they are buying from a well established dealer with a liberal return policy. Our own Scotty tends to get the highest prices on his patches, not because they are the only examples out there, but because of his stellar reputation.

Allan