Oahu Hawaii, What To See?

MT247

Hi all

I am going to Oahu next week for 7 days and was looking for advice on the best place/museums/monuments to visit. I planned a day or two for Pearl Harbor. Am I missing out on other areas? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamond Head. You can park inside the crater an follow a trail to climb stairs to the WW II era Coast Artillery observation bunkers that not only over look the oceans as well as a great view of Honolulu.

If you have a military or retiree ID, there are a lot of historic buildings on the bases. The PACAF HQ building is still pockmarked with bullet holes and shrapnel strikes from Dec. 7th.

Diamond Head. You can park inside the crater an follow a trail to climb stairs to the WW II era Coast Artillery observation bunkers that not only over look the oceans as well as a great view of Honolulu.

If you have a military or retiree ID, there are a lot of historic buildings on the bases. The PACAF HQ building is still pockmarked with bullet holes and shrapnel strikes from Dec. 7th.

Thanks I did see diamond head on the map. Is that were the cemetery is?

Punch Bowel is a good trip, Erine Pyle is there.  There is also a good muesum next to the Hale Koa hotel

thanks

Things to see and do, open to the public:

This place that was discussed a while back: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2019/12/07/pearl-harbor-anniversary-could-be-last-for-honolulu-museum/4356354002/

Pearl Harbor (USS Missouri, USS Bowfin, Pacific Aviation Museum, etc)

US Army Museum of Hawaii (Fort DeRussy), 2131 Kalia Rd, Honolulu

Multiple "bunker hikes" (Google search for specifics)

Things to do if you have military ID (AD, Res, Guard, Ret, etc):

Tropic Lightning Museum, Schofield Barracks

Bellows Air Station: Coast artillery sites tucked on trails on the base

Have fun!

Tom

The brew pub next door is still open but the museum is now closed. They lost there funding after 28 years and had to close, a shame, but the associated pub next door is still worth stopping in and having a beer. Great atmosphere etc....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2019/12/07/pearl-harbor-anniversary-could-be-last-for-honolulu-museum/4356354002/

Punchbowl Natl Cemetery is not at Diamondhead.

Go TO Pearl Harbor to take the cruise directly over the ARiZONA and visit MISSOURI there. Do not take public guided boat tours of PH because they will not go to the ARIZONA.

Be advised that Diamond Head tends to get a lot of tour buses early in day. The tunnels were not built for todays people (narrow and short) and they can get crowded going up/down the stairs.

The views are incomparable and well worth it. Breathtaking. You know u r in HI from up there.