Dungarees and chambray shirts in WW2- who wore them

dan_the_hun84

dan_the_hun84

question for the Navy guys, the chambray shirt and blue dungaree uniform in WW2- were these worn by all ranks from CPO down to seaman? or just POs and Ratings? I don't recall ever seeing officers wear them.

Also and I apologize if there is a thread on this, but what was the deal with the blue colored dixie cup hat seen sometimes? I have heard of everything from non regulation worn by engineers, to deck crews to gun crews only etc etc

Basically all enlisted rates below CPO, as officers and CPOs were usually in their own uniforms and letting the lower ranted guys get dirty. Im sure a few CPOs might have worn them occasionally, but it wasnt the norm. The blue dyed caps were supposed to help camouflage when topside on the ship, since the normal white tends to stand out, but its arguable how effective that was. It ended up just being a personal style choice.

Officers were authorized to wear them, but you rarely see pictures of it. You'd might see them worn down in the fire/engine rooms (CPOs, too). Here's one from a LIFE magazine collection - pre World War II.

post-913-0-21679500-1579384353_thumb.jpg

question for the Navy guys, the chambray shirt and blue dungaree uniform in WW2- were these worn by all ranks from CPO down to seaman? or just POs and Ratings? I don't recall ever seeing officers wear them.

They could be worn by officers, but it would be for serious hands-on work. Here are some officers working on the West Virginia salvage, 1942:

post-3982-0-41985500-1579496793_thumb.jpg

Also and I apologize if there is a thread on this, but what was the deal with the blue colored dixie cup hat seen sometimes? I have heard of everything from non regulation worn by engineers, to deck crews to gun crews only etc etc

Dyed hats were authorized in 1942 for dungarees, not other uniforms, and only at sea. Less conspicuous, showed dirt and stains less, take your pick.

Basically all enlisted rates below CPO, as officers and CPOs were usually in their own uniforms and letting the lower ranted guys get dirty. Im sure a few CPOs might have worn them occasionally, but it wasnt the norm.

It was pretty common for chiefs to wear dungarees in engine rooms and such, though. And dungarees with khaki cover was the standard for submarine chiefs at sea.

It was pretty common for chiefs to wear dungarees in engine rooms and such, though. And dungarees with khaki cover was the standard for submarine chiefs at sea.

Completely forgot about that, most of the photos I'd seen had always been of them were on larger ships in the full khakis or the dark chief's shirt.