Named WWII 5th AF Jacket; DFC, AM and PH; Research Help

Kadet

Posting this for some help from the membership. I bought it from an estate picker in NJ earlier this year. It is named to SSG Hugh B. Scott jr, and I was able to confirm that he lived in the house where the estate was sold. Unfortunately his record was destroyed save for his final pay info. The pay info does confirm that he served as a SSG in the USAAF and was separated from a stateside training command in Nov 1945. I was also able to confirm that he was sent home from overseas in March 1944 and I have a feeling the PH pertains to this. I can usually figure these mysteries out, but have run in to a complete stone wall with this one. Any help would be appreciated!

post-110-0-77452400-1579350239_thumb.jpg

Kyle, they did....but only for an illness (well....gonorrhea) that he suffered when he was back in the states. I suppose it was because of the long distances and isolation, but I've found documentation from the PTO to be sparse at best. The ETO USAAF units are so well documented that getting an ID is usually a piece of cake. Not so in the PTO, particularly for the USAAF units.

I also know that he arrived overseas on 14 June 1943...

Collector .45

Kadet,

Have you tried a local county records office where he lived after the war? Being that he was wounded I would be led to believe that a copy of his discharge would be on file being that he was wounded and he would likely have wanted to take advantage of VA medical benefits. I know some county record offices can be very helpful while many are not but it might be worth a shot. I’ve gotten lucky this way on a few uniforms I own where NARA records are nonexistent but miraculously a DD-214 is on file and the county is willing to work with me on giving me a copy.

- Henry

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks to the new NARA award card data base, the mystery is at least partially solved. Now I can request the GOs for his awards, which should specify a unit

post-110-0-02491800-1580557888_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...