WWII Army Nurse Corps Uniforms

mhalstead1950

mhalstead1950

I recently purchased two ANC uniforms, one of which was directly from the grandson of the vet. He provided a good bit of background information on her and was nice enough to throw in a photo of her in uniform that happened to have her ASN written on the back. I know a number of records were burned in the fire however I've found absolutely nothing on her. Her name was Bertha Glick from the Bronx and according to her son she first enlisted sometime around 1942 and served as a truck driver for the WACs then later joined the ANC with her her sister. She served in europe late war with the nurse corps and later married a coast guard sailor she met in the service. The second was a typical issue ANC uniform with a laundry number on the tag, while I know research on it will be nearly impossible without anything else but I haven't even found potential matches on either of the pieces and was curious if there was any resources available for the Army Nurse Corps that I am unaware of that could at least help to find a match for Lt. Glick? Pardon the lack of a proper display, this is my current college set up that will have to work for now. Any help would be appreciated but hopefully y'all enjoy.

post-164755-0-34971700-1579291022.png

For the laundry number, the letter in this case is W, is usually the first letter of the last name. So the jacket could not belong to her, or there's more to her name than Bertha Glick.

mhalstead1950

For the laundry number, the letter in this case is W, is usually the first letter of the last name. So the jacket could not belong to her, or there's more to her name than Bertha Glick.

Sorry for the confusion, they belonged to two different women, the first uniform belonged to Bertha Glick, the second is completely unknown.

Ok, that clears that up. Do you think you could get any more info from her grandson? Name of her sister? Parents? Reserve officers can be hard to trace. I'm drawing a blank so far, also.

WWII nurses are really tough to research. Was the name you posted her maiden (unmarried) name, or her married surname? She would have been single when she first became a nurse, so the registers from 1945-46 would probably list her under her maiden name.

• 4 weeks later...

Could find a Bertha Glick, born 11/30/1916 NYC died 12/16/1999 prob in Boynton Beach, Fl.

1940 Bronx census has parents as William and Anna both born Russia (could be Poland or some other Russian territory at time of their birth in 1880s)

Sister: Lillian (1915-1976), Florence (1919-?), Pearl (1981-1997)

Married to Irving Weinstein ( ?- 2016) married in 1956