ww2 Lid used in the Pacific ?

The Rooster

For the record the kanji can also mean something dirty but she did not think it did.

No body can find any info on J.Madar.

We have really knowledgeable researchers here amoungst our members.

One of our best researchers on here cant find this guy.

Geoff at Golden Arrow Research cant find this guy either.

J .Madar. 11416654 Not found....

Unfortunately this lid stays a mystery.

Hi Dave, I looked in to this. Neither the name nor serial number lead anywhere. Sorry but there is nothing I can do on this.

Geoff Gentilini
Lead Researcher

Golden Arrow Research, LLC

Bummer !

can this item by a humper??

I thought that too. But really looking at it in hand.... If its a fake... Its a darn good one. None of the stencils

the symbol the name and number, None of it is fresh. The fire could have wiped this guys records.. It was suggested by a great friend of mine to ask Geoff if he could search the 3/305th and see if the guys name is in there?

So im going to write Geoff and ask.

I thought that too Mitch, but if you see it in person... None of its fresh.... The whole things dusty and looks like the liner was thrown in

as there are cob webs bird poop or something inside the steel. And the out side of the liner has white paint spatters on it.

I dont think the liner is original to the helmet. The helmet is a front seam McCord with What looks like original straps. Im not a helmet expert even kind of by any means.. Too new at helmet collecting...... But I think I have a good eye for antiques etc and this does not look like a faker to my eyes. I'l get some better pics up tonight.

I got the helmet in. And I believe I've been reading the name wrong and the unit wrong.

It looks to me like the unit is 3/385/2 in stead of 3/305/2

and it looks like the last name reads MADRR instead of MADAR…..

What do you think?

post-181333-0-00517100-1579801053_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-06805800-1579801067_thumb.jpg

Detail on the front

Ive got a letter in to Geoff to see if the corrected name and unit make a difference in locating the Man.

post-181333-0-81592200-1579801340_thumb.jpg

A cursory search of findagrave turned up a couple of J. Madars who served in Korea/Vietnam. The late liner and glossy paint would fit with that.

A cursory search of findagrave turned up a couple of J. Madars who served in Korea/Vietnam. The late liner and glossy paint would fit with that.

Thank you. I looked up Madrr and found zero....

I did find a John A Madar and a Joseph A Madar enlisted in ww2.

The liner.....Im of the opinion that it was thrown in with the steel and not original to it in any way. The outside of the liner is spattered with white paint dots.

The paint on the steel is ww2 with cork. Not the lighter green with sand like some repurposed front seam ww2 lids you find.

I think the unit on the side is the 3/305th but then again the 0 looks like an 8...

All in all im begining to agree with costas post....

costa

• photo-thumb-73.jpg?_r=1422567303
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73

CONFUCIUS SEZ--- HE WHO THINKS TO HARD OFTEN BLOWS MIND IN THE END.\

If anyone knows someone who could look up the unit rosters for either the 3/305th infantry or the 3/385th infantry... If thats what the stencil indicates (lol)

please send me a PM.

Thank you.

You seem very insistent on making this helmet into what you want it to be. That's a tendency that helmet collectors should work to eliminate.

That Sir, is your opinion. I bought this lid. It is stenciled and marked as it is. Im merley trying to see if I can link the name with the stenciling on the side. If thats me making it into what I want it to be, then so be it.

Fact is, Im making guesses and Ive been reaching out to reaearchers to help me find out the story here.

Fact is, I dont have any idea. Thought it would be interesting to post here.

Personally I dont agree with your assesment of what Im doing here.

Ive not claimed what it is.. Ive thrown out guesses of what it might be.

Im hoping others with more knowledge could help out. Like 644TD did in asking his Japanse friend to translate the Kanji on top. Much thanks for that too to Member 644TD and his Friend from Japan that was nice enught to take an interest and help out. What do you think this helmet is?

Any thoughts on this helmet?

Thank you.

something else---------- the name inside the pot looks like a magic marker was used. I could be wrong --------- you will not know about this lid till you track down the name. im thinking anywhere from korea to nam.

Thanks Mitch

That could be ... and you are right ....... Finding the name will nail it down. Thats what Ive been trying to do.

Geoff at Golden Arrow said he will contact a friend at Nara and see if they can find the name.

I wont speculate any further. I'l post on this again when I hear back from Geoff.

Thanks Mitch

That could be ... and you are right ....... Finding the name will nail it down. Thats what Ive been trying to do.

Geoff at Golden Arrow said he will contact a friend at Nara and see if they can find the name.

I wont speculate any further. I'l post on this again when I hear back from Geoff.

I took another look at the liner. It has a decal on the side under the paint. I did some scraping

and found a 76th infantry div decal. This make you guys Costa and AEF 1917 100% correct in your first assesmnents. I thought the liner was thrown in.... think again. I always say Im a rookie at this.. Theres the proof......The stenciling

fits in well with the liner as the 3/385th infantry was and or still is a part of the 76th division.

National guard division.

There are also dried blobs of dark green paint on the webbing of the liner that look like the paint used to paint on the Kanji

symbol on the top of the lid.

So all in all I think its a ww2 front seam w original straps repurposed for the national guard in either Hartford Conneticut 76th div or provenance Rhode Island 3/385th. And the seller was in west Hartford.

It is a reserves national guard helmet and if it saw service in the pacific it was during a 2 or 3 week annual training mission to Japan in the 50's or 60's... Thats my best guess of what it is and where it was used. And why it is marked as such.

Still waiting on info on the name.

Thanks Guys

76th Infantry

post-181333-0-05422700-1579998361.jpg