I wonder if this yanked Navy Cross was legit?

aerialbridge

"WW2 Navy and USMC Medal lot" Bid $207.50 Wonder if that Cross was legit or "aged to imperfection" with the half wrap brooch? Hard to tell with the saved search thumbnail.

Click, and auction already pulled. Same with PHs and anything else desirable on the "verboten" list the past couple months, after a lot had been getting by for a few months.

post-18406-0-74335100-1579235781.jpg

Was there a view of the reverse of the Good Conduct Medal? Should have been named. And, if it were named to a recipient of the NC, they would prove to me it was totally legit.

The brooch is a split wrap. Based on that, (and the not totally dark finish) wouldn't seem to be a Black Widow. I believe those were full wrap? Probably a "toned" standard WW2 era NC?

I don't know if the auction had a view of the GCM to see if it was named. It was yanked pretty quickly, so I only saw the small thumbnail that you get for saved searches. My understanding, too, is that the Black Widows were full wrap. I did not think there were any Navy Crosses with the half wrap, ball catch, similar to the 2nd Nic. medals.

I remember seeing that NC at the ASMIC show in Portland. I was not in love with it. Its not a black widow. You can tell that if you look at the gunbroker listing.

Kurt

Agreed, it's not a Black Widow, and I don't believe it's a 3 piece construction WW1 one either. WW2 or interim the 2 wars? Could that brooch have been original to an inter-war Navy Cross? Thanks for commenting and posting the clearer pictures from the other auction site.