Suspiciously FS M1C w/Westinghouse Liner on eBay (ends in a few hours))

Captain Woody

Captain Woody

I'm actually surprised I didn't see anybody post this here already, but here's the link

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264593996345

I'm guessing there's either something glaringly fishy about it that I completely missed, but I was curious what better versed collectors myself thought about it. At the time of writing this it currently sits at about $800 with 16 bids. I was hoping somebody could confirm or correct some of things that set off red flags for me:

-Raised brass buckles on the chinstraps

I know factories used mixed era parts if they had leftovers, but shouldn't an M1C have FLAT brass or steel buckles?

-Chincup is very obviously a Navy replacement, can't tell for the life of me if it's original, but I also know that it's an automatic disqualification as soldiers were very resourceful and procured parts whenever/wherever possible

-A glaring lack of closeup photos of the majority of the inside of the liner.

-Notice on the picture of the liner exterior: paint worn off one of the rivet head shows very new looking steel. I know if the piece was actually original and handled enough to scrape paint it wouldn't be unreasonable to see steel that was up until that point sealed by the paint, but it still gives me pause.

-Chinstrap bartack looks off to me. Just a gut feeling, but I've been wrong before.

My personal takeaway: somebody slapped this together with mostly original parts (shell paint/ in particular looks spot on to me) worst case. Best case a real gem has surfaced.

It sold for $2225. Is that the going rate for these or just the typical eBay get out of hand price?

Looks like two people got in a bidding war towards the end. Unless I'm missing something I would imagine it's at least $1000 over what it should be unless I'm missing something. Granted though this one seems to be a pretty nice example.

I know one on bay state sold not that long ago for $895. Though that one was a little worse condition wise and had a 5 hole web chin cup instead of the leather chin cup. You can't see it in the pictures on their site but I would assume based on the price that the liner was factory para.

I picked up a nice rear seam M1C not that long ago with a rigger made liner for less than 1/4th of what this one went for.

Captain Woody

I come to these forums to learn and grow my knowledge of the hobby and you guys did not disappoint. Guess I'm just too cynical for my own good at times. This pot was pretty far outside my budget for now, but I was almost sure it seemed too good to be true. Live and learn

There are 2 types of late war M-1C helmets. A front seam M-1C pot is far less common than a rear seam one, but in the case of front seam pots, a very small percentage will have unreinforced chin straps (single bar stitch instead of double stitch around the hinged loops; like the M-2). This and the green A-washers in the liner make this a pretty desirable helmet.

There are 2 types of late war M-1C helmets. A front seam M-1C pot is far less common than a rear seam one, but in the case of front seam pots, a very small percentage will have unreinforced chin straps (single bar stitch instead of double stitch around the hinged loops; like the M-2). This and the green A-washers in the liner make this a pretty desirable helmet.

What do you make of the chincup and the size of the the female snaps in the liner?

The chin cup is a replacement, not a legit paratrooper cup but an original flying helmet chin cup. The sockets seem to be okay and in the correct size for a mid war westinghouse airborne liner. A good way of testing these liners for authenticity is to test the cast buckles on the A frames with a magnet. Should stick, most repros will have alloy buckles which won't pull magnets.