Large wooden tool box

All wood construction except for the hardware. It's sitting on two wooden runners. Also it has two handles on the back just like the two on the front.

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I've got a bunch of prewar artillery manuals. I'll dig this weekend. Being all wood with runners makes me think it goes on a carriage and not in a vehicle. I'm assuming it's for big stuff judging by the size of compartments and compared to the size of your truck bed. Four handles for carrying plus the wood 5/8 plus thick. It almost reminds me of a toolbox off a Civil War era battery wagon, but more modern

spacer.png

It's roughly 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep and a foot tall. Dove tail construction. One thing that might help date it is the use of some Phillips head wood screws. Those were patented in 1932.

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I'm thinking 30's. Maybe part of a wheelwright's kit on the hoof? Almost positive it's not for saddlers. Thinking for a 75 field gun. It's really heavy duty for other use. MG's have small parts, mortars wouldn't require tools so robust....the three compartments are for big stuff easily accessible. Neat box regardless of use.

spacer.png