The Show of Shows, 2020...Louisville, KY

MAW

Any suggestions for a first timer? (I have the money/time to go this year if plans work out).

How do you sort through that many tables, enjoy it, and hopefully find something feeling like it was worth the trip?

Thanks

Unlike smaller shows, no individual can cover all of this show at once. Even if you have unlimited funds, it doesn't matter. You can't be everywhere.

Definitely bring a pen and write down locations of anything you might want to revisit. If you don't, chances are you won't find it again.

Bring as much cash as you can...and bring along some decent stuff that you "could" sell if you want to. Chances are you might want some reserve.

Plan on spending a couple of days, minimum, to cover everything.

Is anyone bringing any early USMC Helicopter items? Specifically looking for HMR-361 patch, but any Marine helicopter patch I don't have would be nice.

My bride and i will be there, we are easily recognizable, i'm the old guy with the hot chick.

glad to hear that you’ll be there again this year Dwight! We’ll have to do dinner and hang out again! ???

glad to hear that you’ll be there again this year Dwight! We’ll have to do dinner and hang out again! ???

Sounds good, looking forward to catching up.

There is a map layout of the tables in the program, and row aisle letter at the ends of each aisle, that helps find your way back to tables. Do not use "things" as a reference. One year I saw a guy across from us sell every mannequin group he brought in about an hour. You could see guys were looking for them - but they were gone.

Which also reinforces the point, if you see it - buy it! One year I was looking for something specific for a uniform, I had found 3 in the whole show. Of course the 1st was the best so I went back for it- you guessed it -gone. #2 gone. #3 gone.

Wear good shoes - I always get my crew a new pair of cushy shoe inserts. Those really help. That floor is a killer.

Meet people- see who the guys are are that you see on line everyday- take the time to introduce yourself. It's worth it.

Have fun!

tdogchristy90

If you're looking for something particular, say from a unit, state, campaign, battle, etc. are there ways you go about it or do you peruse the floor seeing what catches your eye?

CNY Militaria

If you're looking for something particular, say from a unit, state, campaign, battle, etc. are there ways you go about it or do you peruse the floor seeing what catches your eye?

If you are looking for something unique, it's worth asking dealers about as most have much more than what is shown on their table. Many have items under or behind their tables or in their vehicle waiting to be brought out.

I recall some people going around asking for things like "Battle of the Bulge Groups," "WWII US Airborne," "Dog Tags," "Infantry Uniform Groups," etc.

That being said, if you are looking for a broad type item such as "WWII US" or "anything New York related", you might get a deer in the headlights look from the dealer.

I remember a post from a little while back from someone who went and said they had a t-shirt made stating what they collected and had the unit insignia on it. The way they figured, it beat having to ask at each and every table they passed by. So you could go that route if you're looking for something specific. Either way, good luck and enjoy!

tdogchristy90

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I don't mind asking around. I may do a USMF shirt if I can get one.

But yes, I'm excited to go and meet people.

I remember a post from a little while back from someone who went and said they had a t-shirt made stating what they collected and had the unit insignia on it. The way they figured, it beat having to ask at each and every table they passed by. So you could go that route if you're looking for something specific. Either way, good luck and enjoy!

I'd like to go, this would be my first. Still trying to work out the logistics. As it'd be my first, I may have questions on the best way to enjoy it.

Best advice...let someone you trust hold your wallet the first day you are there. If not you'll be broke after going down a half dozen isles.

As usual I'll be searching for Quartermaster Corps treasures. I'll also have several copies of my book on metal Quartermaster insignia with me. If you're interested now please PM me and I'll give you details on it.

My hotel room is booked. My sales of my Petrolania collection is generating some nice returns. And my new hiking shoes are on order. So now I need to work on my mental game. I have some questions regarding what to expect.

1. Is the show organized in any way? For example are the deals grouped by what they predominately offer? My guess is no.

2. Assuming “No” above, how chaotic is it? I’m fearing the adult version of a town Easter egg hunt.

3. Do dealers put price tags on things or do you have to ask?

4. How is etiquette amongst buyers? I once was at an antique advertising show where almost nothing had a price tag and I picked up an item that I really wanted to inspec it closer and another buyer came in beside me and asked the dealer how much and proceeded to buy it while I was still holding it. It would get that cutthroat.

As always thanks for any and all feedback!

No, the show isn't organized in any particular manner. Some use price tags, but many do not. For the most part, both sellers and buyers are friendly, although there is always the 1%. For me the show begins during the dealer pack in that happens on Wed evening. My wife sets up our tables and I start making the rounds. Thursday is the formal dealer set up day, and it can be like a Turkish bazaar of buying and selling. By Friday things have settled out. Saturday is usually pretty slow. The general public attends mainly to look. Still good deals to be had though. I have a routine where I hang out at the tables for awhile, then walk the isles. It pays to constantly circulate because people put new items out on their tables. If you can, join the OVMS and get set up as a table helper for someone. The best day of the show from a buying and selling perspective is Thursday and it is REALLY nice to have a place to sit down and put your stuff. The end of the show when people are packing up and willing to cut their prices is a great time too. Find a network of friends that collect what you do. There are typically parties in the hotel rooms at night and some of the biggest/best deals happen there over a few beers.

Chris....

There are a couple thousand tables full of militaria, and hundreds of dealers. Each has their own way of doing things, of course.

Most things will be priced, but certainly not everything. The "herding cats" metaphor always applies....because even if the vast majority do one thing, the strays will scatter and do their own.

I can promise you this....you will have a fun adventure, and lots of opportunity.

With a show this big, no one dealer or group of dealers can "lock it down". Even if you have unlimited funds, you simply can't be everywhere at once.

If you're looking for something specific, or interested in an item, engage the dealer in conversation and see what might be worked out. Stuff does get put out on tables as the show goes on too....deals fall through; trades are made; reserve stock is brought out.....don't be afraid to ask questions.

Steve Brannan

I've started packing for the BIG SHOW. Here are some of the items I plan to bring:

1. 10k gold Naval Aviator wings engraved "R F Galer" with some correspondence with Colonel Galer in 1987 about these wings.
  2. 1950s Marine NCO Sword named to SSG D.P. Schaeffer, 1st ANGLICO.
  3. WW2 Naval Aviator group with Caterpillar pin.
  4. CBI Pilot group with engraved personal wings and original Flying Cadet black/gold felt patch.
  5. 8th AF ETO Pilots jacket with all bullion insignia.
  6. WW1 Enlisted garrison cap with Cavalry insignia.
  7. WW2 AAF AN-H-15 flight helmet.
  8. WW2 AAF officers jacket with 8th and 9th AF patches and blue felt rectangle where wings go.
  9. Vietnam enlisted jungle jacket, identified with photos
  10. Eight WW2 USMC uniforms, greens, blues with patches, some identified.

And lots of other good stuff. Drop by and say hello. I'll be there Thursday morning. My table is under my name- Steve Brannan

I've started packing for the BIG SHOW. Here are some of the items I plan to bring:

1. 10k gold Naval Aviator wings engraved "R F Galer" with some correspondence with Colonel Galer in 1987 about these wings.
  2. 1950s Marine NCO Sword named to SSG D.P. Schaeffer, 1st ANGLICO.
  3. WW2 Naval Aviator group with Caterpillar pin.
  4. CBI Pilot group with engraved personal wings and original Flying Cadet black/gold felt patch.
  5. 8th AF ETO Pilots jacket with all bullion insignia.
  6. WW1 Enlisted garrison cap with Cavalry insignia.
  7. WW2 AAF AN-H-15 flight helmet.
  8. WW2 AAF officers jacket with 8th and 9th AF patches and blue felt rectangle where wings go.
  9. Vietnam enlisted jungle jacket, identified with photos
  10. Eight WW2 USMC uniforms, greens, blues with patches, some identified.

And lots of other good stuff. Drop by and say hello. I'll be there Thursday morning. My table is under my name- Steve Brannan

Interested in #1 & #10.

I met Galer a couple of times before he passed away.

Any 2nd MarDiv ID'd uniforms?

Austin_Militaria

Keep in mind that just because you already walked down an isle the previous day does not mean that it is the same stuff. Things sell, sellers put out new items. Also (very frowned upon) some sellers pack up so the surrounding sellers take their tables and put more stuff out. Plus there is always the late comers that put stuff out on their friends table when they show up on Friday or Saturday. So there are constant deals to be had from move in until the show closes.

Also if something is not priced don't always assume it must be to expensive because it is still there late on Friday afternoon, it could be that just no one asked how much it was from the very beginning of the show.

PacificGunner

I just have a question regarding the quality of items to bring. A friend of mine told me not to bring "20 dollar items" for my table, but going through the things I want to sell, there are some items I would put around a 20 dollar price on and would like to take them to the show. I know this show is revered to have the best militaria, but is it acceptable to bring lower quality items for sale?