Fake WWII Submarine Flag Sold On eBay

daniel griffin

daniel griffin

This submarine flag was sold on eBay on Jan 1 with this title "Scarce WW 2 US Navy Submarine Victory Battle Flag, (SS-321) USS Besugo" for 485.00 with 25 bids. He does put a disclaimer, saying that you should be the judge. The problem is that it sold in December at Morphy auction clearly stating that it was a reproduction. I previewed the auction, the colors were applied using magic markers and the threads glowed.

fk2.jpg

daniel griffin

Here is the Morphy listing:

The following garrison caps have had names added to the sweatbands, while the caps are original we are of the opinion that the names have been added post period. (A) Enlisted Air Force cap with the name "Col. P.W. Tibbets" embossed on the sweatband. (B) Officer's cap named "I.D. White" on the sweatband, left side with major general's insignia. © Officer's cap with "L.T. Gerow" embossed on the sweatband, left side with General's star pinned to it. (D) Officer's cap with sweatband embossed "G.S. Patton Jr", left side with three small clutch-back stars. (E) Enlisted cap, sweatband embossed "Gavin, James M", the left side with two British-made pinback stars. (F) Black US Navy cap embossed on the leather sweatband "W.F. Halsey, Jr", left side pinned with US Navy officers insignia and 1-1/2" naval aviator's wing, the right side with a five star Fleet Admiral insignia. (G) Tan US Navy cap inked on the interior "W.F. Halsey", pinned on the left side are a US Navy officer's insignia and a 1-1/2" naval aviators wing, on the right side an Admiral's insignia. Included in the lot are: (H) World War I period yellow piped cap with Captain's insignia on left side. (I) Grey US Navy officer's cap with 1-1/2" naval aviator's wing on the left side and Fleet Admiral insignia on the right side. (J) 1960's gold-piped cap pinned with a General's insignia on the left side, accompanying the cap is a letter dated 2002 stating that the cap was donated to the National Vietnam War Museum by General William Westmoreland in 1990. (K) US Army metal vehicle plate, the front with two applied silver metal stars, the reverse spuriously stenciled "Gavin, James M" in white paint. (L) US Army metal vehicle plate, the front with three applied silver metal stars, the reverse spuriously stenciled "Bradley O 0-3307, Headquarters" in white paint. (M) US Army metal vehicle plate with two white stars painted on the front. (N) Reproduction USS Bang "kill" flag, cotton, measuring 27" X 40". (O) Reproduction USS Besugo "kill" flag, cotton, measuring 27" X 42". CONDITION: All in very good to excellent condition. DG