USMC 1940 Boat Cloak WIA Iwo Jima BN XO of 3/26 5th Marines

nchistory

1940 Boat Cloak of Colonel, at the time 2nd Lt. George Frank Waters Jr. of Knoxville, TN. He was in the North Africa Campaign on the USS New York, later Battalion Executive Officer of 3rd Battalion 26th Marine at the Battle of Iwo Jima. Within 24 hours of landing he was wounded by Japanese fire and evacuated. The Battalion Commander Colonel Trotti was KIA 2 days later. Waters later recovered and fought in the Korean War during the Chiosin Campaign, first with the 5th Marines, later at Liason Officer with General Almond's X Corps for the 1st Marine Division.

post-153086-0-72932900-1578934149_thumb.jpg

Staff Officers 3/26 prior to landing at Iwo Jima. Co: Colonel Trotti in center KIA Feb 22, Major Waters 2nd from left seated WIA Feb 20th. Waters Jr sits beside Troitti.

post-153086-0-74142300-1578934697.jpg

Great Photo Sept. 1951 Beginning of Chosin drive. General Almond driving, Lt. Waters behind Almond. General MacArthur front passenger, Lemuel Shepherd behind him.

post-153086-0-99599100-1578936872.jpg

Thanks for sharing, nice research and history. I have a boat cloak in my collection of same vintage. They are showy items that dont come up often. They dont get the interest in the collecting community they deserve IMO. They sure are pretty though.

Thanks for sharing, nice research and history. I have a boat cloak in my collection of same vintage. They are showy items that dont come up often. They dont get the interest in the collecting community they deserve IMO. They sure are pretty though.

Thanks much for your comment, I agree they don't get the respect they deserve.