MKII grenade canisters

Rifleman

Kaptainssurplus

The repo grenade tubes as good as they look are a hair smaller in diameter than a real WWII M41 tube...a real one being about .86 and robs being about .76 and the black part of the tube on a real can being about .11 and the repo being about .06. the center cardboard tube on both are about the same at about .11

In the photo below the two repo cans are to the left. the other photo shows a real lid with Robs lid under it.

2rob1.JPG

2rob2.JPG

Thanks Dirt detective, this will make it easier to ID the replica cans. I will now have to check mine with this new info.

Dirt Detective

Also just to point out there are some wartime M41 MK2 cans that arent embossed with the Hand Grenade MK2.

Always willing to learn about this cool piece of Ordnance...not a lot written about the fiber tubes they came in. Would love to see some pic's of a marked M41 frag can without the "Hand Grenade MKII " on it.

I have Frag M41A1 cans with and without the 'Hand Grenade MKII" on the lid....and the cans with just grenade on the lid but they are taller than the M41 for the smoke rounds.

Kaptainssurplus

Your right, in general the MK2 grenades and related stuff is somewhat a enigma in the ordnance world. There are many maker marks that still haven't been IDed yet, even the color change there is no 100% agreement on when it happened and how. We do know that some were painted in the field as there is photo evidence but no one can agree if it was a GI mod at that time of photo or an ordered one. Also there is different body variants which conflict the timeline of development and no one can agree on when the MK2A2 was adopted and how to properly ID them (other by stated fuze use, which can't be use to ID bodies now because someone could have mismatched fuzes and bodies). It's funny that something that was a major piece of ordnance there is so little detailed documentation to set the record straight. I'll pull out the examples of tubes I have and post pics for reference.

Persian Gulf Command

DD,

Look at mine at lower left with the "A1" stamp. Yours has the "A1" designation rotated 90 degrees in line with the "FRAG". This would indicate that this "A1" stamp was applied separtly. Perhaps to containers meant for MKII's that now had the solid bottom MKIIA1's inside.

Perhaps a little more information has just surfaced!

Very informative topic. Great information.

I picked up three grenade canisters at an estate sale. They measure a hair over 6 inches tall by almost 3 inches wide. Both tops and bottoms are stamped only GRENADE, nothing else. Tubes are not marked. Is the brevity in the lid stampings a late war measure or are these post war? All comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Al

post-12790-0-45729300-1579218491.jpg

post-12790-0-08335500-1579218543.jpg

post-12790-0-65284700-1579218582.jpg

post-12790-0-39257100-1579218604.jpg

I picked up three grenade canisters at an estate sale. They measure a hair over 6 inches tall by almost 3 inches wide. Both tops and bottoms are stamped only GRENADE, nothing else. Tubes are not marked. Is the brevity in the lid stampings a late war measure or are these post war? All comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Al

These were the style sold on eBay for like $5/piece.....They were listed as WW2, but are taller than their WW2 MKII counterparts......I believe these are for post WW2 gas grenades.....Bodes

These were the style sold on eBay for like $5/piece.....They were listed as WW2, but are taller than their WW2 MKII counterparts......I believe these are for post WW2 gas grenades.....Bodes

Thanks Bodes. Do you happen to know the height of the MK2 tubes?

Al

Thanks, Al

Smoke grenades.

Dirt Detective

Thanks, Al

Hi Hirsca, Your can would be for the smoke type rounds like the one I have pictured here..

post-2677-0-58144900-1579239975.jpg

post-2677-0-27207000-1579239988.jpg

One more for reference. Modern era M18 on left. Grenade embossed on right. A huge store of these WW2 unmarked, containers was found perhaps 10 years ago, I had bought a few from the seller and he stated he had about 10,000 NOS condition found in an abandoned warehouse scheduled for demolition. With no ink markings applied to the lid, they were never used.post-180924-0-37967300-1579272017_thumb.jpeg

One more for reference. Modern era M18 on left. Grenade embossed on right. A huge store of these WW2 unmarked, containers was found perhaps 10 years ago, I had bought a few from the seller and he stated he had about 10,000 NOS condition found in an abandoned warehouse scheduled for demolition. With no ink markings applied to the lid, they were never used.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Thank you for the information. Your examples are very helpful.

And thanks to all of you for the great thread.

Al

Dirt Detective

Here is a pic of what is inside a M41 tube. The grenade sat on top of the felt with the square piece of card stock on top of the spoon to prevent metal to metal contact.

post-2677-0-06768300-1579455822_thumb.jpg