Would it be possible to sew on size 7.5 Double Buckle Boot Cuffs to Service Shoes size 6 or 6.5?

Matthew1945

I've been waiting a while to buy a pair of Combat Service Shoes, aka Double Buckle Boots, from WWII impressions.

They have been sold out for a couple years now I believe and At The Front no longer makes a pair in my size, neither does SM Wholesale. Was considering buying a pair of cuffs cut from a 7.5 boot and trying to get a cobbler to sew them on to a pair of size 6 or 6.5 roughout service shoes.

Has anyone done this? And does anyone know if the double buckle boot cuffs stay the same length between sizes?

I imagine a 6 or 6.5 boot with a 7.5 cuff would not be too big of a jump and be feasible for this but I do not want to buy both just to find out that the cuffs would not fit properly, nor do I want to preferably ruin the mint original pair of size 6 Combat Service Shoes that I have just to reenact.

Cheers!

In WW2 boots were converted from ankle boots to the double buckles by adding the upper buckle cuff.I have a pair of cap toe boots that were converted.

Im sure a good shoe cobbler could sew them on.If the tops are old leather (originals) they may be pretty dry and not hold up to sewing.Maybe hand stitch?

Maybe try to reach out on some reneactor foums to see if someone may have an older set of repros they dont use anymore?....I have seen people selling off gear at times they have out grown.

I see that Amazon lists Mil-Tec double buckle boots in size 6 for $171.95. Know nothing about them or quality.They are available and ship for free.

Saw all the ones listed on line but didnt mention them.I assumed that the poster had slready searched the online sources ...ebay, Amazon etc and was looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have searched around for the boots from other companies but I would like to have American made boots if possible. If I can't get American made gear I would definitely want accurate repros made from a reliable company that would last. The cuff idea was the only alternative I could see being possible while still sticking to American made repros. Also the cut off original cuffs are still supple and flexible, so I imagine they would work so long as they could be fitted to such a smaller boot.

• 1 year later...
USMC_COLLECTOR

Hey, sorry that this is late, hope this isn't a dead post, but I have done the research on repro shoe brands and it looks like SMWholesale is pretty good. Many people have said they are very similar to WWII Impressions. I believe they are an American manufacturer, but they have made uniforms and footwear for the series  Pacific and Fury. Buckle boots are $220.00. Maybe something to think about.

On 1/13/2020 at 6:43 PM, Matthew1945 said:

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have searched around for the boots from other companies but I would like to have American made boots if possible. If I can't get American made gear I would definitely want accurate repros made from a reliable company that would last. The cuff idea was the only alternative I could see being possible while still sticking to American made repros. Also the cut off original cuffs are still supple and flexible, so I imagine they would work so long as they could be fitted to such a smaller boot.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:24 PM, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Hey, sorry that this is late, hope this isn't a dead post, but I have done the research on repro shoe brands and it looks like SMWholesale is pretty good. Many people have said they are very similar to WWII Impressions. I believe they are an American manufacturer, but they have made uniforms and footwear for the series  Pacific and Fury. Buckle boots are $220.00. Maybe something to think about.

Hey, thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, this is a dead post and ironically enough in the interim I picked up a pair of SM double buckles, haha. Thanks again though!