WW2 Survival Machetes

jefmil

Picked these up over the years. 1st one CASE XX

post-11441-0-68510800-1578863761_thumb.jpeg

post-11441-0-71679600-1578863812_thumb.jpeg

2nd one - Type A-1 Imperial with sheath

post-11441-0-70590400-1578863890_thumb.jpeg

post-11441-0-71189500-1578863916_thumb.jpg

Heavy coating of gun grease to keep from rusting.

Are these anything special or did they make a million of them?

Any idea of value?

Thanks,

Jefmil

Boy that sheath is nice. I recently found a Cattaraugus folding machete. I don't think they are terribly rare but I don't seem to see them in shops. Maybe because they are so useful and end up worked to death.

I like the CASE too, full tang, solid wooden handle. I don't trust the folding IMPERIAL, when it comes to the idea that it might close on my fingers on a back swing. THX for showing. SKIP

All three are in very nice condition, perfect examples for a collection.

Some friendly corrections.

The first blade is a V-44 machete designed and procured by the US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics. Included in the M-592 back pad kit. Developed in 1943.

The second folding machete (A-1) is a revised version having a more agronomical handle. Developed for sustenance kits. Its design concept began in 1945. Adopted in fiscal year 1947, meaning it could date back to the second half of 1946. It has been erroneously identified as WWII for a very long time and is an honest mistake by most to believe so.

The Giant Jackknife you have is the USAAF version, the Navy version used a clevis or bail. Additionally, the Navy did not procure the Giant Jackknife from United Machine, Colonial only. Your knife would had been included with the C-1 vest.