6th Marine Corpsman Uniform

Countryman0331

Countryman0331

Here is the uniform of Leonard Andrew Chapelle. Leonard Chappelle was born in New Haven Connecticut on May 10th 1924. He enlisted into the Navy as a Corpsman on July 31st 1942. By January 14th 1944 he had completed his Hospital Corps School and Field Med School. On January 28th 1944 he would report into the Fleet Marine Force. Chapelle got his first taste of combat while participating in the assault and capture of Guam. It was a tough and bloody fight that lasted almost a month. The fighting resulted in 3,000 US servicemen dead and over 7,000 wounded. The Japanese would lose over 18,000 soldiers in this battle. Chapelle would then be transferred to 3rd Battalion, 22nd Marines, 6th Marine division on the 19th of September 1944. By April 1st 1945 he was assaulting Okinawa. The battle would last 82 days with the intent of using Kadena Air Base to invade Japan. America had 12,520 servicemen killed in action on Okinawa. It is estimated that roughly 110,000 Japanese soldiers lost their lives.

post-279431-0-41631600-1578813566.png

Kurt Barickman

Agree! Pharmacist Mate groupings that were attached to USMC infantry divisions are difficult to find.

Kurt

Hello there i have an opportunity to buy a us navy n -4 jacket ww2 in mint condition the size is size 34 is that too small a size ? it is covered in cutters tags and really nice thanks hope to hear from you

mike korea :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Jami O'Reilly

This is my grandfather's uniform. I would love the chance to get it back. I just sent you a private message. 

• 3 weeks later...

Julie, to access the sales forums you need to post 50 times. If you're only interested in this uniform you can send him a personal message. Just a heads up, Ive tried buying and trading this uniform from him and he has absolutely no interest in letting it go.

• 1 year later...

Thought I would share some photos and items that my father saved from his military service. I'm not sure how his uniform ended up on this site. 

NavyClass.jpg.71c6b271a367778a27fd047e180c7877.jpgFreind2.jpg.b533fe73a90d0e977d83a28bcb02cdcf.jpgFreind.jpg.a1057dd1a20d2c3fe62001f71ef2f5a3.jpgFieldHospital2.jpg.6c0aeb43c087e686849df1458b49b26d.jpgFieldHospital.jpg.5b1907a8108469b99c2a0d72857343cc.jpgPearlHarbor.jpg.e8091318e0925db1220393996fd5b34e.jpg

Thanks for sharing your father’s items. Looks like a few other relatives items might be mixed in with the medals sincerely your father looks too young to have been in WWI (which the rainbow ribboned medal with the clasp is for). Did he serve in the Air Force later or perhaps someone else in your family. Because the other medal is the Air Force Good Conduct Medal which was not created until 1963.

Friar

Actually that good conduct medal is probably mine since I was in the Air Force 81'-85'. As far as my father goes he was born in 1924 so the other medal may be his fathers. My father didnt talk much about his service and as a kid I never asked. I went straight into the Air Force after high school and he died while I was in the Air Force. I found those medals and pictures in a box of stuff my mother put away.

13 hours ago, FriarChuck said:

Do you know anything about that pearl Harbor bracelet ? Thanks for the info.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for this late reply. I only know the bracelet was in a bag of photos. Some of which I have posted here. Like I said, my father never really talked about his time in service and as a kid I never thought to ask. I probably would have questioned him more when I got out of the Air Force but he died while I was still in. 

What the picture doesnt show is that it says TARAWA on one side and MARSHALL IS. and GILBERT IS. on the other side.