Sign in to follow this  
Countryman0331

6th Marine Corpsman Uniform

Here is the uniform of Leonard Andrew Chapelle. Leonard Chappelle was born in New Haven Connecticut on May 10th 1924. He enlisted into the Navy as a Corpsman on July 31st 1942. By January 14th 1944 he had completed his Hospital Corps School and Field Med School. On January 28th 1944 he would report into the Fleet Marine Force. Chapelle got his first taste of combat while participating in the assault and capture of Guam. It was a tough and bloody fight that lasted almost a month. The fighting resulted in 3,000 US servicemen dead and over 7,000 wounded. The Japanese would lose over 18,000 soldiers in this battle. Chapelle would then be transferred to 3rd Battalion, 22nd Marines, 6th Marine division on the 19th of September 1944. By April 1st 1945 he was assaulting Okinawa. The battle would last 82 days with the intent of using Kadena Air Base to invade Japan. America had 12,520 servicemen killed in action on Okinawa. It is estimated that roughly 110,000 Japanese soldiers lost their lives.

post-279431-0-41631600-1578813566.png

Agree! Pharmacist Mate groupings that were attached to USMC infantry divisions are difficult to find.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hello there i have an opportunity to buy a us navy n -4 jacket ww2 in mint condition the size is size 34 is that too small a size ? it is covered in cutters tags and really nice thanks hope to hear from you

mike korea :)

Wow! Outstanding Pharmacist mate group! Great colored period photograph.

Kind Regards, Michael .S

WW2 77th Division Researcher and Collector

This is my grandfather's uniform. I would love the chance to get it back. I just sent you a private message.