A Day at the Flea Market

thorin6

I've been going to the North Carolina Flea Market for many years, and have found some nice things, like a green handled M7 bayonet for $20 (missing the pommel but an easy fix). Lately it's been kind of dry, the past couple of years haven't really been productive. But, if you collect you must search, and occasionally something unexpected crops up.

Today I was looking a several tables with all sorts of old, rusty tools and "restoration" (read rusty) parts for doors, furniture and the like. I then saw this rusty piece of metal which I recognized as an M3/4/5/6/7 blade.

post-11546-0-07444700-1578790197_thumb.jpg

post-11546-0-66724500-1578790210_thumb.jpg

I rubbed part of the blade and this came out. I bought it for $10; I've always wanted to get one, but the price has always been out of sight. Now I have to decide what to do with it.

post-11546-0-02084600-1578790395_thumb.jpg

Good candidate for restoration since its already just the blade. Looks decent too and a harder one to find. Patience can pay off and you never know what's hiding in a pile or tote partway under the table.

I picked up a broken M3 from Frank Trzaska's site so I'll have an original guard, leather washers, and pommel. Now the fun begins.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great find!!! Flea Markets can sometimes be pots of gold for hidden treasures where people have no idea what they actually have.