WWI Aviator Night Map?

cthomas

Has any one ever heard of WWI aviators using a specialized 'night' map for operations? I may have such a map in my collection. The top edge of the map has a notation "1914-1918 Night Map" written in the aviator's (actually a photo recon guy's) own hand. The paper it's printed on is different that what you see on other maps. It's a dark tan, semi transparent paper that has some type of weatherproofing to the finish. It reminds me of typical household wax paper used to wrap sandwiches or to bake with. Map details, such as wooded areas, roads etc... are done in muted green, red & black tones.

Are these maps common?

Croix de Guerre
Has any one ever heard of WWI aviators using a specialized 'night' map for operations? I may have such a map in my collection. The top edge of the map has a notation "1914-1918 Night Map" written in the aviator's (actually a photo recon guy's) own hand. The paper it's printed on is different that what you see on other maps. It's a dark tan, semi transparent paper that has some type of weatherproofing to the finish. It reminds me of typical household wax paper used to wrap sandwiches or to bake with. Map details, such as wooded areas, roads etc... are done in muted green, red & black tones.

Are these maps common?

PICTURES CHUCK GIVE US PICTURES!!! LOL! :lol: If this is from "that" group then by all means I would believe anything! Come on man,,start postin' that stuff! :lol:

post-3356-1231470518.jpg