Roached Case M3 Real Deal?

McDermut99

Found at a local antique store for $20. I haven’t bought it because it’s only the second M3 style knife I’ve held and my knowledge is rather limited. It’s been used heavily, and the only markings I found was the “USM3 CASE” stamped on the guard. Apologies for the pics, I tried to get as much details as possible.

Is this a real Case M3? What’s its value in this condition?

Any comments are very much appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a real one! Some Case handles, like their blades do vary in length. Check out Bill Walter's book. For $20 buy it, not in collectible condition, but you might be able to salvage it into a functional knife, with some tender loving care, and patience. Based on the pictures, the handle is in tact, blade just needs to be reworked, and maybe refinished with some gun blue. SKIP

That is one long looking grip but I'll defer to the experts.

Probably because about an inch is missing from the tip. It’s an honest knife though, and for $20 the OP definitely didn’t get hurt (and even a fake/modern repro at $20 is a steal.) If it were mine I’d clean it up, retip it and put a real edge on it and maybe some staghorn grips for a bitchin’ hunting and camp knife that’s guaranteed to be an eyecatcher at the cabin. ;)

Looks fine.

It's a real one! Some Case handles, like their blades do vary in length. Check out Bill Walter's book. For $20 buy it, not in collectible condition, but you might be able to salvage it into a functional knife, with some tender loving care, and patience. Based on the pictures, the handle is in tact, blade just needs to be reworked, and maybe refinished with some gun blue. SKIP

That is one long looking grip but I'll defer to the experts.

Probably because about an inch is missing from the tip. It’s an honest knife though, and for $20 the OP definitely didn’t get hurt (and even a fake/modern repro at $20 is a steal.) If it were mine I’d clean it up, retip it and put a real edge on it and maybe some staghorn grips for a bitchin’ hunting and camp knife that’s guaranteed to be an eyecatcher at the cabin. ;)

Thank you all very much! I'll be stopping by tomorrow to buy it, it's hidden under a pile of other bayonets and blades.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That M3 looks very legit! Do you plan to leave it as is or restore it?

Thank you! As of right now I'm leaving it be, but come summer I'd like to begin cleaning and reworking it. As Bill and SKIP commented the knife has been so heavily used it's not valuable as a collectors piece, so my plans are to "restore" it per se to wear in reenactments as well as camping, hunting, etc. The cross guard is loose, but the leather washers are in pretty decent shape so I might keep them. Otherwise as suggested, I'll clean the metal, rework and refinish the blade, and tighten the cross guard. It's looking to be a fun and interesting project!

• 4 weeks later...