Roger Bender - Bender Publishing

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

Just received some sad news that Roger Bender passed away this week.

Roger published some of the greatest reference books we all know and use daily.

Since I was a kid Roger always treated me as an equal, and always called me "son" when he saw me.

"Dad" you will be missed a lot........

That is a loss to the entire community. I was hoping there would be more to come from him and his publishing house. His books set a standard for quality, color and detail.

Bob, I am sorry for your personal loss as well.

Indeed a loss. He had some of the most seminal titles in the area of our interest.

Would you believe that only yesterday I receive his whole Waffen SS Series, used to have them, got them all in the late 70s, Volume 5 when that one came out in 1982, I got it the following year in 1983, but parted with them around 2005. got them off Ebay, yeah, I was very pleased to see these that I was getting were all 1st Editions and not reprints, Volume's 3, 4, and 5 bear his signature, Roger James Bender.

set-bks-uniforms-organization-history_1_

Not seeing anything in the way of an OBIT, if Bob or Owen could please tell me how old of a man he was, as he apparently has been in business since the 1960s, in example the 1st Edition of the Waffen SS Book is 1969.

Kurt Barickman

Too bad; the books he published got so many of us interested in collecting German decades ago.

RIP

Kurt

I was just informed of his passing. He was a friend, had known him since I was 18. I was emailing with him in October with my change of address to Idaho. He asked why the move and I told him. He agreed that the Left Coast was getting bad and understood my reasoning. He replied LOL and said that should be a good hunting ground. This getting old is sometimes not any fun. I just turned 62 and many of my buddies have passed. I sure hope when it's my time I can meet up with those that went early. Roger will be one that I seek. RIP, Roger.

G2

His legend will live on in his wonderful reference books...

He will be missed but his books will live on..

Bob, my condolences on such a personal loss to you.

I know what it means to lose a close friend and mentor and father figure...

Leigh

easterneagle87

I got his books early and they are the standard. I have every issue of his Military Advisor magazines and still continue to subscribe to them every year. What a wealth of knowledge he was.

RIP

Very sad news...I remember how happy I was to finally be able to afford his (well, written by Jack Angolia) books on German medals when I was a young teenager. I will admit that my book on Purple Hearts, Sacrifice Remembered, is printed in very much the same style as Bender's smaller format books as I always found them to be a very usable and comfortable size.

Holy crap! I am devastated to learn about Roger's passing.

Roger has been my publishing hero. Since I was about 20 years old, I have said, "When I grow up, I want to be Roger Bender."

Such a prince of a man and so committed to our hobby.

The world will be different without Roger.

John Adams-Graf
Editor, Military Trader and Military Vehicles Magazine

Simon Lerenfort

Very sorry to hear of the passing of Roger Bender, my deepest condolences to his family at this sad time.

best wishes,

Simon.

Roger leaves a huge hole in the collector community. His kind come don't come around very often and always seem to be gone too soon. Roger had a few books in various stages of completion. Hopefully someone will be able to take the baton and finish the race.

Here is a link to Roger's obit with information on his funeral. https://www.darlingandfischergardenc...s/Roger-Bender

I think the burial Monday after his funeral mass.

Thru Roger i meet George A. Petersen and some years ago both are my friends, this is the

end of an era. as John Stacey would say calm seas and bright sun. sincerely. Bob Bumbolow