24th_infantry

Named Americal Division grouping and bringbacks

Yesterday the daughter of an Americal Division veteran from the town I grew up in passed on her father's items to me. PFC Louis Perrelli served in the 164th Infantry, Americal Division starting in early 1944. He served in a number of battles against the Japanese. I even found a short write-up about him in the 1946 booklet entitled Connecticut Men of the United States Army. In the book it mentioned his address and also had a short description where he recalled when his platoon was ambushed by .25 caliber nambu machines guns. Luckily none of the Americans were wounded or killed, however Perrelli noticed that one of the Japanese bullets struck the ground three inches away from his head.

In the grouping of items are his dog tags, garrison cap, ribbon bars and combat infantry badge, his good conduct ribbon engraved with his name, in addition there is a small French flag made in Japan (the paper corners have Japanese writing on the inside), a Japanese sports medal, Japanese cigarette case with writing inscribed on the front along with a ship (my brother's wife who is Chinese told me that the case belonged to a Japanese patrolman), there are a couple of tassels, Japanese patches (one is a naval patch with writing on it and I believe it was a navy deputy group leading from what I found online), there is also two small tags with writing on the back (one has the rising sun and the other has a star, I was informed these were tags used by a military veterinarian). Lastly there is a Japanese good luck banner with writing on it and a drawn rising sung, and a Japanese silk meatball flag which Perrelli had his squadron sign. In the flag are all the places he landed along with this name and the Americal Division patch drawn on the top. All the locations and his name are also translated into Japanese.

This grouping is really amazing. There is so much history and stories. I only wish I was able to meet the veteran, however he passed away in 2007. I'm thinking that I will get the flags and banners framed in order to preserve them. I also want to get all the Japanese items fully translated and the patches identified. Although my brother's wife can translate some of it, she is Chinese and its difficult to completely translate everything. If someone out there can help me please let me know. I greatly appreciate the help and enjoy!

post-88080-0-56339600-1578690201_thumb.jpg

Cigarette case named to a patrol man. In the top left corner he drew a ship but its hard to see in the photo.

post-88080-0-28497100-1578690621_thumb.jpg

Great grouping! I mainly collect Americal Division, That flag is amazing

-Seth

Looking for WWII Americal Division and 147th Infantry Regiment Uniforms and anything relating to the Army on Guadalcanal.

donation2018.gifimage.png.eeda3e0d45132eb99f4dd8b07fd60103.pngdonation2020.gif

I noticed the three Australian army insignia, two collar size "rising sun" badges and a curved "AUSTRALIA" shoulder title... Nice One mate!

Interested in US Naval and Marine aviation history, aircrew wings & insignia.

WW2 US Navy and Marine Grumman Wildcat, Avenger & Douglas SBD aircraft.

Also interested in US 5th AF in Australia.

donation2013.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

Very nice grouping! My one regret with acquiring groups like this is that the vet has almost always passed on already, and with them the stories behind each interesting piece such as the souvenirs and Australian insignia. Great job at keeping it all together.

Interested in items related to:

-Amarillo A.A.F. / Amarillo Air Force Base

-Military instillations located in the Texas Panhandle, South Plains, and West Texas.

-"F" Company, 142nd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division (Texas National Guard)

-413th Civil Affairs Battalion (USAR)

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

In Memoriam:

CSM Juan H. Hernandez - U.S. Army WWII, Korea, Vietnam

RM1c William C. Denney - U.S.S. McDermut (DD-677) Korea

very nice grouping. Always good to have the history with the items!!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2020.gif