1917 Movie

MT247

Pretty good film, defiantly worth seeing. Just a little goofy that the Germans have the accuracy of stormtroopers.

Well to be fair - they might have been drunk in that one scene.

I was actually pleased with it overall. The biggest miss I saw was the amount of artillery fire throughout (especially in the final scene). In hindsight this was probably a bit of artistic liberty, don't want to give the theater audience shell-shock.

Pretty good film, defiantly worth seeing. Just a little goofy that the Germans have the accuracy of stormtroopers.

Absolutely right. My comment was, that the somalis pictured in Black Hawk Down were Marksmen in comparism.

The movie was great in the trench scenes, the rest only good average.

• 1 month later...
aerialbridge

Did anyone else notice that the opening date stamp of the movie, "April 6, 1917", is the date the US declared war on Germany? The "one (continuous) shot" cinematography that 1917 's director, Sam Mendes, masterfully pulls off is probably why I liked it better than the other, epic, odyssey war- rescue movie of the last 20 years, "Saving Private Ryan", directed by Steven Spielberg, at the time he was forming "Dreamworks". Not to put down Private Ryan, a true, classic war movie in the pantheon of greatness, and I'm probably in the minority (at least in the US) that would give 1917 the edge. Not surprising that Dreamworks was also one of the production companies for 1917, a technical, marvel of cinema story-telling. My wife, who generally does not like "war movies", also thoroughly enjoyed every second of it, as did my daughter who loves history and a good story, and recognized Benedict Cumberpatch playing "Col. Mackenzie" (who must be popular among HS kids, even if just for that great name) that I'd never heard of. While 1917 won best cinematography, best visual effects, and best sound mixing, it should have swept all the nominations it got for the 2020 Academy Awards: best director, best original screenplay, best production design (amazing trenches, bombed out French towns and other sets), best original music score, best hair and makeup (the actors all looked like they came from 100 years ago). But first and foremost, 1917 was robbed of the Best Picture Award, by the appropriately named, twisted, greed and gratuitous-gore fest, "Parasite", reminding us once again, that while it can do "great things" from time to time, it's mostly still just Hollyweird these days, pushing its social agenda at the expense of what is simply great. The Brit Academy Awards got it right-- 7 awards including Best Picture and Best Director. Can't wait for 1917 to come out on DVD and add to the collection (that I rarely add to these days, but this one rates it). The cast was also tremendous and looking forward to the next movies that George McKay and Dean Charles Chapman are in, they've got a tough act to follow.

Warning- spoiler alert- but a good analysis of "how" 1917 plies its "one take", non-stop suspense magic-

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2020/2/5/21124081/1917-one-shot-tracking-shot-gimmick-best-picture-sam-mendes

https://apnews.com/c3900fa333d53cc9abaf3f49204e1079

post-18406-0-47180400-1583225244.jpg