1917 Movie

MT247

Sorry if there are other threads about this movie but I just got back from seeing in the theater and it was great. Very suspenseful and almost gave me a panic attack at some points but well worth the watch. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not a US film so dosnt belong on this forum

I started a thread about it in the sister World Militaria forum a month ago

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t care that it’s not AEF centered...it’s a modern war movie, and of interest to the majority on this forum.

it was very well done.

I’ve been waiting my whole life for someone to do a good WWI film that didn’t look like it was done by five year olds running the research and costuming departments, respectively.

My favorite segments were the opening scenes, going through the trenches...and into no mans land. Excellent stuff.

I hope at some point, someone does a good AEF film...but I’d also like to see a French and a German comparable effort.

Hookemhorns88

Saw it last night. Great movie. It has more than just action as it also leaves you on the edge of the seat on what will happen next. Nothing outlandish happened in the script either. Solid movie.

Can't wait to see it. They spent $100 million to make it, so they believed it will be worth it and people will go see it. It's already critically acclaimed, but if it's financially successful as well, I think it will be only a matter of time till they make an equal investment in an AEF one

Great film! Definitely see it on the big screen. I am looking forward to the DVD so I can turn the subtitles on. My Indiana ears struggled at times with the thicker British accents.

BILL THE PATCH

I predict best picture, or best cinematography at the Oscars. When that bomb went off it scared the hell out of me.. I won't divulge any more. But I'm sure everyone knows the scene I'm talking about.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I took my kid (13) after hearing the R rating was over rated. No gore, no cussing, etc. I would rate it as a PG13. That said, great "adventure" movie. Little about the horrors of that war ( poison gas, human wave offensives, endless artillery duels, "over the top" charges into interlocking heavy MG fire, use of carrier pigeons, Mills bombers, mud, rudimentary medical care, sickness, despair and disease). My rating as a historically accurate portrayal of WW1 " war to end all wars", a lame C-.

Based on the trailer I saw, I wasn't planning on seeing this but after reading several positive reviews I decided to give it a try. I should have stuck to my guns because I didn't care for it at all. The story line of we have to get this message through to stop the attack or it'll be a massacre is old and tired, not to mention the old jump off the cliff into the river to escape certain capture/death. All in all, there is 2 1/2 hours of my life that could have been better spent.

Based on the trailer I saw, I wasn't planning on seeing this but after reading several positive reviews I decided to give it a try. I should have stuck to my guns because I didn't care for it at all. The story line of we have to get this message through to stop the attack or it'll be a massacre is old and tired, not to mention the old jump off the cliff into the river to escape certain capture/death. All in all, there is 2 1/2 hours of my life that could have been better spent.

.....ummmm.....units did use runners in WW1.... pretty common activity.....

Lots of AEF DSC citations to runners as well.

I dont care that its not AEF centered...its a modern war movie, and of interest to the majority on this forum.

it was very well done.

Ive been waiting my whole life for someone to do a good WWI film that didnt look like it was done by five year olds running the research and costuming departments, respectively.

My favorite segments were the opening scenes, going through the trenches...and into no mans land. Excellent stuff.

I hope at some point, someone does a good AEF film...but Id also like to see a French and a German comparable effort.

All Quiet on the Western Front (has Les Ayres) does a pretty good job from the German viewpoint.

All Quiet on the Western Front (has Les Ayres) does a pretty good job from the German viewpoint.

There are others just as good...Westfront 1918 and Strosstrup 1917... among others.

You can watch those on YouTube...but last I knew the editions with the English subtitles aren’t there any more... they are available on dvd though.

BILL THE PATCH

Did you ever see the remake made for TV movie, with Ernest borgnine and John boy from the Walton's? Not a bad remake in my opinion.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Saw it on Monday with my 13 year-old son, my wife and mother-in-law.

Glad we went. The early scenes of no-man's land craters and barbed were and the human aftermath of all the slop and vast destruction, the rural scenes, the immediacy of man-to-man combat, the utter chaos of a front... a lot to like about this film for students of warfare.

I especially like it that the guy actually completed the mission he was sent into that brutal universe to accomplish... a story relived countless times in every war.

I actually didn't like the movie. The part of the movie where they went through no mans land had my heart pounding in suspense and the horrors of the trenches were brought to the big screen. My interest was lost after the trenches until the very end.